Chapter 11

Cornfields and spaceships

Matthew understood the lengths Zephram would go to, they were written over Stanley's face. His face was void of expression now he was a mindless machine. The once rebellious mechanical boy was now passive and did what his master asked. Matthew followed suit, mindful that others could be hurt if he didn't do what Zephram asked.

So he did what he was commanded, without hesitation, as they pushed further and closer to Mica's home. As they pressed on Matthew could see Mica's home in the distance. Blenders stood at attention, surrounding the impressive abode.

"Where is the old man?" Zephram screamed as they entered the home.

"Upstairs, third room on the right," One of the blenders responded.

Zephram pushed Mathew towards the steps, "You first boy."

Matthew ascended the stairs. He thought it odd he heard laughter coming from the room. As he walked closer he could make out the exuberant conversation between Mica and Sara.

Matthew stopped in front of the door. It was the door to his replicated room. He pushed the door open. His eyes were ambushed by an unexpected sight. The room, that just the day before was a perfect replica of his bedroom, was now a carbon copy of the fishing hole his pappy so dearly loved. It was if they had stepped outside and were back on his pappy's farm. It was a perfect copy, the air even smelled like the sweet honeysuckle blooming in summer.

There by the water's edge was Mica, doing what Pappy loved to do, fishing. Just like the real pond, a brown path snaked around the pond worn from the steps of his beloved Pappy. Mica smiled when he saw Matthew and he motioned for him to come over.

"You have a nice place here." Zephram said to Mica as he entered the room. Stanley marched in right behind Zephram. He stood at attention next to his newly acquired master.

Mica's shoulders collapsed and his voice quivered with sorrow, "How could you... you wiped him clean."

Zephram put his arm around Stanley,"All I did was drain the vinegar and piss."

"You have me Zephram," Mica said, "do your worst, but let the Matthew go."

Zephram looked inquisitively at Mathew, "Is he fully conscious? Does he have all of his memories?"

Mica had an intuition that he had fully regained his memories.

Matthew began to answer Zephram, but Mica interrupted, "No, no not yet." Mica smoothly lied.

"Well I could wait or I could probe your mind old man... but then there are easier ways to get what I need. So let's go that route. Where is the book?" Zephram forcefully asked.

Mica knew well what he was asking for, it was the book he found in the tanker as a boy. Mica nodded at Sara. She pulled a controller from her pocket and pointed it towards some trees on the edge of the pond. A large rectangular portion of the trees disappeared and instead there appeared a wall. Sara walked over to the wall and pressed her hand against it. A small drawer slide out and she pulled the old book that Zephram had requested.

She turned and slowly walked to Zephram and gave him the book. A large grin spread across Zephrams face, "This book contains fantastically grand mathematical equations and one is the most spectacular of them all. It is the everything equation. A simplistic mathematical equation that explains everything in the universe. Once the tumbler has this equation there will be no more knowledge to gain. You know what's in this book don't you Mica... you have it all in your head," he tapped his temple and smiled at Mica.