(8) -- Busted

11:16

Hey - sorry - I didn't hear my phone (; xXx

11:24

Hellooooo? Are you a-sleeping? (: xXx

11:36

Okay, well, goodnight Chick (; xXx See you tomorrow or sumthing... 

I glared down at my now fully charged phone whilst blow drying my hair. He'd obviously got off with that girl then left and texted me. See if he could chat me up too. Dick.

I looked up in the mirror, and checked to see if my hair was dry, then turned off my black hair dryer, unplugged it, then shoved it in with the other electrical devices I had stored in my room.

I stood up, locking my phone then shoving it into my jeans pocket, then went down to the kitchen for breakfast.

"Mornin'," Mum smiled, popping her toast out of the toaster and onto her plate.

"Mornin'," I replied, sidling up to her and snatching a piece before she could butter it.

"Oi!" Mum barked. "Give that back and get yer own!" I laughed as she beckoned her hand at me while I sat down at the table. "C'mon. Cough up."

I took a bite, smiling, then coughing hard, and fanned my mouth with my hands.

"Too hot," Mum grinned. "Serves you blummin right!"

I swallowed, then got up to get a drink from the tap. "It wasn't even that nice without jam or butter."

As I left the cup in the sink and wandered over and put another two pieces of toast into the toaster. One for me, one to replace the one I'd stolen off Mum. Whilst I waited, I buttered my piece and found the strawberry jam in the cupboard and put that on too, avoiding the huge bite mark out of the corner.

I looked up as my brother came in, his hair scruffy, his face unwashed. He was just in some tracksuit bottoms, leaving his chest bare. He mumbled something as he sat down at the table, and I joined him.

I loved Matt, even if he was hanging out with the wrong kind of people, getting drunk and drugged up, then arguing with Dad over it. 

Mum looked down at him. "So," she started, raising her eyebrows at him. "You have fun last night?"

"Don't act like you don't know," my brother snapped.

"I was just asking," Mum replied, holding her hands up, palms towards him.

"Yeah, well, don't," Matt growled, his face down towards the table.

"Don't speak to your mother like that." My Dad's voice came from the staircase as he stepped down into the kitchen.

"Fine!" Matt shouted, standing up suddenly, his chair juddering backwards as he got up and stormed back up to his room.

My Dad took my brothers chair as Matt's door slammed from upstairs and he sighed, rubbing his forehead with the palm of his hand. "What am I going to do with your brother?"

"What was it this time?" I asked quietly.

"Unsupervised party. Alcohol. Arrested a few of the other boys there for dealing heroin and crystal meth."

I gulped. The night before I had been at the same sort of party.

"He was drunk when I found him with some girl I haven't seen before, but she looked pretty out of it while I escorted Matt home in the police car."

My Dad took his job seriously - you had to if you were going to be the chief of police and not get kicked out. He also made it specifically his problem to deal with whatever rebellious thing my brother happened to get himself into.