Chapter 59 - In the End, We Are Nothing but Only Human

"I want to show you something." He lead me through a dim hallway, it was musty and old. The floor boards creaked under my feet. A chill went down my spine. I could easily tell that this was an abandoned section of Wammy's. L looked like a ghostly figure. The place was mysterious, just like him. He took a hand out of his pocket and as he walked through the long hallway he let it glide over the peeling wallpaper. At the real end was a door with the letter L engraved on it. He paused in front of it and hesitantly pushed it open. He switched on a light which kept flickering.

"Was this your room?"

"Yes." Inside were old computers all over the floor, paper scattered everywhere. There was also a single mouldy lounge chair. He looked back at me. His eye bags were the blackest I had ever seen them. "Apart from Watari you are the only person who has ever been in this room. I don't like looking back on my past." He walked to the middle of the room and stared blankly at the wall.

"You seem... sad."

"It reminds me of things I would not like to remember." I embraced him in a tender hug. He froze and then relaxed but he just stood there. "I do not show emotion because it makes my work easier. But everyone always thinks of me as an alien. I wish they would see it from my perspective, then they would understand that I am only human." Was he having an emotional break down, had he finally cracked? Whatever it was it was between sad and scary. He pushed his face into my shirt and closed his arms tightly around my back. Then the most unexpected thing happened, he started to cry. He sunk to his knees pulling me down with him. It was so strange to see him like this.

"I just want to do good in this world." He sobbed. He held tighter onto me, like letting go would mean the world's end. His nails started to dig into my back. "I AM JUSTICE!" He shouted, I froze in place. He was starting to scare me; he was acting just like Light. It was like he was trying to reassure himself why he even existed. "I'm not like Light (Y/N), I'm not." He whimpered.

He let go of me and stood up. I remained on the ground. "I-I just c-can't." What did he mean by that? He walked over to the computer and kicked it full of rage. The screen shattered into pieces and his foot started to bleed. He planted his hands over his face. "I-I..." He trailed off. I started to inch backwards. "WHY DO I ALWAYS LOOSE THE PEOPLE THAT I LOVE!" He yelled full of rage.

More tears came streaming down his face. He walked over to the corner and punched the wall then collapsed into a small ball, pushing himself into the corner. "I can't lose you (Y/N)." He whispered. "Thanks to you Watari is still alive but everyone else is DEAD!" His voice rose and he once again hit the wall helplessly. His head hit the wall violently. He grabbed at his white shirt over and over. His black hair was stuck to his face. I did not like seeing him like this. "Light can kill you at any time, I couldn't live with myself if I let that happen! H-HE DESERVES DIE!" I ran shakily over to him. I moved his hair out of his face.

"L?" He kept on crying and looked further down into his lap. "LAWLIET LOOK AT ME!" He snapped his head up to me. His face was pale and his eyes darker than usual. "You are not Kira! Don't do this to yourself. You sound like Light."

"I-I'm sorry (Y/N)." He wiped away his tears then burst out crying again. "Come here." I whispered. He clasped his arms around my back. I kissed his forehead gently and hugged him tighter. This was the most emotion he had ever shown. He had finally broken. "In the end we are nothing but only human."