Chapter Five

I made my way out onto the balcony still wrapped in the fuzzy blanket from last night. Sleep had eluded me much of what was left of the night as my mind raced over all that had happened and worried about all that was yet to come. So I cried until there were no more tears left to be shed. The first rays of light broke over the horizon, the orange glow creeping higher and spreading wider with each minute. The sound of  ocean waves crashing into the rocks was soothing, helping my mind find a small amount of peace.

     A knock at the door set my stomach roiling.  Nerves invaded my moment of peace chipping away at my resolve.  The knock came again and as I took a deep breath I made my way to the door.  When I cracked it open I was disappointed to find yet another hooded man instead of the green eyed Ripley. What is it with these people and hooded cloaks?  It's like a bad Hollywood movie.

     "Callie Daniels, the Keeper awaits." Was all he said, his tone robotic and he just stared at me blankly, expectantly, which was quite unnerving.  After a minute he turned and started down the hall.  I scampered behind him worried I would lose him in the maze of halls.  His movements were so fluid that he reminded me of Chalice.  They both seemed ghostlike yet solid, I remembered Chalice patting my head, and knew for a fact he was no apparition.

     We rounded a corner and came to a stop in front of large silver plated barn doors ornate and beautiful in their design.  They slid open upon our approach and I would be lying if I said the sight before me wasn't completely unexpected.  The room was absolutely gorgeous. Not the cold stark white of my room or the room where Brian and I were when we arrived.  This room was vibrant, alive.  The floor resembled zebra wood with shades from deep chocolate browns to a luscious caramel colored striping.  Silver railings separated different lounge areas.  The walls were a gorgeous turquois and there were sofas in a mash of electric colors like green, orange and fuchsia.  Cocktail tables made of what looked like chrome were scattered about.

     I followed the hooded man further into the room.  Groups of cloaked people amassed in the corners, milling about and chatting as if this were the most normal of circumstances.  Oddly enough this room didn't seem as intimidating and I was able to relax somewhat.

     As we reached the center of the room the doors slid back shut and silence came instantly as if someone clicked a mute button on a remote control.  I stood there unsure of what I was expected to do so I let my eyes wander, taking in the people gathered around the room.  The pink Mohawk lady was there again along with studded cheek dude, the ones with the undulating appearance I decided had to be the ghost crowd, and they still mesmerized me.

     My eyes made a complete circuit around the room twice and an uneasy sensation formed in the pit of my stomach as I realized neither Link or Ripley were present.  Fear squeezed at me like a vice as I worried they were somehow in trouble for talking to me last night.  The thought of them being punished was eating me up inside and I struggled to focus on what was about to happen as I observed Chalice making his way forward.

     "Welcome Callie Daniels.  It is time.  You must choose the immortal being you wish to exchange your mortal life for.  Look around the room Miss. Daniels, your soul shall be your guide.  It will lead you to the person or persons you are to be paired with, all you have to do is listen.  Now, what say ye? Vampire, Ghost or Reaper?"

     My throat was tight as I looked around at the creatures before me.  Panic was all that surged through my veins as my mind went blank and no words formed in my head.  Chalice looked at me expectantly, but I had nothing.  There was not one soul in that room I would've wanted to be paired with.  What did one do in this situation?  My eyes zipped around the room wildly in desperation to make some sort of connection...any connection as I feared Chalice would not be so accommodating if I had to utter the words, Sorry dude, but I'm out.  There is no one here I feel I could trust not to chew me up and spit me out.