Chapter 6

Chapter Six

I was aware of every small movement as I shuffled through the halls of my school. I studied the faces, silently making observations. Who could this ‘Amon’ be? This has to be a prank… Right? I would allow myself to accept that, but my ‘powers’ are definitely real… Who could know about them? I’ve only used them a few times and I wasn’t even sure they were real until that note from last night.

I felt like a zombie, constantly replaying the recent ‘happenings’ that have occurred in such a short time. I’m forgetting something, whatever it is, it’s clearly important. Now I have telekinesis and a presumed stalker who I may or may not have forgotten. 

“Alex, I’m surprised…” Mr. Anderson said while snapping me out of my head. “You have been here for a whole five minutes without making a condescending or sarcastic comment.”

Paige snickered at that from the front, left side of the room. I ignored her nasally and completely unattractive attempt at a laugh.

“Can’t have an off day, can I?” I asked with forced sarcasm.

Honestly, I wasn’t in the mood. I barely got any sleep last night, my brain won’t stop the replay button and I didn’t feel like interacting with the air headed, hormone filled, human beings called high schoolers. 

Mr. Anderson sighed. “I suppose,” he muttered beginning his lesson for the day.

About halfway through class, a ball of paper landed on my desk. I opened it as silently as possible because I didn’t want to be noticed. When I was finally done smoothing out the paper, I saw a handwritten note. My heart began to beat faster and my stomach became lodged in my throat. He knows where I live, so why wouldn’t he know where I go to school? 

 Alex,

       You seem out of it today… is everything alright? 

                   Derek

I let out a sigh of relief and looked over to a very observant Derek. I grabbed a pen and wrote under his note ‘I’m fine, just didn’t sleep well. Thank you.’ I threw it quietly over to him and gave him a grateful smile. He actually noticed and cared enough to at least ask if I was ok. He has noticed me more than ninety-five percent of the school has in just a few days.

 Crunch. 

I looked down to discover another crumpled piece of paper. I unfolded it faster this time while throwing a ‘seriously’ look at Derek.

When you picked up the note, you looked scared. Why?

Of course. The first person that is actually nice to me and notices me, is over observant and will end up being a pain in my neck down the road. Why does he even care? Out of everyone in this school, why is he noticing me as something more than ‘I can pick on you’ or ‘just another girl’. I let out a frustrated sigh and began to write.

I thought the note was going to be from Paige. As you probably know I don’t like her…

I tossed it back over to his desk, making a serious of crunching noises. I crossed my arms and laid my head down, while studying a paper clip on the floor in the distance. I must be the only person to ever notice that lonely paper clip, lying on the floor, small and undiscovered. I bet even the janitors vacuum zooms past without picking it up to take it away. It will just become a part of the floor until someone kicks it away with a shoe and it collides with a corner or slides under a desk once more, untouched.

I wonder how much we don’t notice in life. Perhaps the most vivid leaf color you have ever seen, the car swerving into your lane on the highway, a beautiful sunset that sets fire to the sky or a small little paper clip that is now a part of the ground. I wonder how much of life I miss while at school or wasting away in my house, waiting for the hours to tick by, just to have another day almost exactly the same.