Chapter 2

Adam

On average, I spend more than forty hours a week inside the Mercury FM building. Now, that's not a complaint. Plenty of people work much longer days than I do, doing a shitty job that they hate. I do what I like to do, and I get paid for it, which makes me fortunate. My co-workers like to joke and laugh as much as I do. I can dress for work however I like; there are no suits that strangle me in my wardrobe. Plus, the surrounding eateries and cafés are some of the best in Melbourne. That said, I'm not so keen on turning up to work on a Sunday.

"Daniella," I say, walking into the office I share with my co-host.

She growls. "I hate that name."

I grin. "I know."

She's sitting at her desk, her long light brown hair hanging over her face like a curtain. After sweeping it back and pulling it into a ponytail, she watches me take a seat at my desk.

"I guess I should just be grateful you're here, huh?" she asks.

I put my feet up on the desk. "Said I would be, didn't I?"

"Yes, but I know how precious your weekends are to you."

"They are precious. You should enjoy one sometime."

"I would if I had something to do," she says sulkily.

Dan's always hinting she wants to go out with me on the weekend, and if her feelings for me were just platonic that would be okay, but they aren't, and I'm not interested. Dan's all right. She's attractive, even if she dresses like a guy half the time and prefers to be called Dan over Dani or Daniella. The problem is that we work together. Sleeping together would ruin our relationship as co-hosts, especially since I don't plan on ever breaking my no-relationship rule. Not unless Kristy turns back time and picks me over Logan. Something that's never going to happen.

My co-host gives me a cross look. "Unfortunately, I'm too busy working on our show to enjoy days off."

Dan is here more often than I am, chasing leads, it's true. I do my share, but she does her share plus more. She doesn't understand work-life balance.

"So why am I here, then? If you're so busy doing everything for both of us."

Her anger vanishes, and she makes a big show of wheeling her chair out from behind her desk and moving closer to me. "Eddie and Kane are quitting the drive-time spot at the end of July."

My feet fall off the desk, and I sit forward in my chair. "No fucking way."

"Way, Granger. And guess which duo they're considering asking to step in?"

"It won't be us, Dan. We're rating well, but we're not that big yet. They might bring someone else in. Or lure Rogers and Bexley out of retirement."

She shakes her head. "I overheard them discussing it. They want us, Granger, but..."

"But what?"

"They're not entirely sure we have what it takes to keep a prime-time audience satisfied."

I growl. "Of course, we have what it takes."

Dan nods in agreement. "I know, but we need to prove it to them."

"How?"

I can see she has a plan. She's got that slightly-devious expression she wears when she's been plotting.

"We need an interview, a big one that will help us hit it out of the ballpark and impress management. It needs to be all over the news, the radio, YouTube, everywhere."