{ eight }

John, Sherlock, and Carmen sat in comfortable silence. Carmen and John looked over the case file as Sherlock watched them from his chair. Sherlock's phone rang loudly and he answered it. "Sherlock Holmes," he paused, listening, "Of course, how could I refuse?"

Sherlock stood and put the phone back in his pocket, "Lestrade. I've been summoned. Coming?"

Carmen looked up at the wall, "Did you shoot the wall up, Sherlock?"

He didn't answer, grabbing his coat. John nodded at Carmen, "He did." Sherlock sighed, "Are you two coming or not?"

Carmen shrugged, "If you want us to."

Sherlock smiled, "Of course! I'd be lost without my blogger and my ballerina."

<>

John hailed a cab and got in the back. Sherlock watched as Carmen sat in the car and scooted over to the middle seat. Sherlock stood outside the open door. "Come on then!" Carmen giggled. Sherlock hesitated, "I think I'll just sit in the front..."

Carmen reached out and pulled on his coat sleeve, "Don't be silly, Sherlock." He reluctantly climbed in beside her. They all squeezed in the cab. Sherlock tried to ignore Carmen's arm brushing against his. The ride was quiet all the way to Scotland Yard. They got out and headed up to Lestrade's office.

"You always like the funny cases, don't you? The surprising ones." Lestrade said. Sherlock and John parted, and Lestrade's eyes caught on Carmen. "Oh, hello. I don't think we've met," Carmen said brightly. She shook Lestrade's hand warmly. He gaped a moment before turning to John, "One of yours?"

"One of mine, actually," Sherlock said stiffly. Carmen frowned, "I'm nobody's, excuse you." Lestrade stuttered, "No I just... I meant..."

Carmen waved her hand, "Forget it, just tell us why you called."

Lestrade sighed before turning to Sherlock, "You'll love this, that explosion? The gas leak? Yeah, not an accident. Made to look like one."

"What?" Sherlock asked incredulously.

They walked into Lestrade's office, there was a burnt looking box on the table. Lestrade gestured to it, "Hardly anything left of the place except a strong box -- a very strong box. And inside it was this."

Lestrade handed Sherlock a letter with his name penned on the front. Carmen pursed her lips. Anything that came from a bomber couldn't be good, right? Sherlock looked down at it critically, "You haven't opened it?"

Lestrade shrugged, "Well, it's addressed to you, innit? We've x-ray'ed it, it's not booby-trapped."

Sherlock raised his eyebrows, "How reassuring."

Carmen's mouth twitched up into a grin. Sherlock brushed past her towards the lamp in the corner of the room, holding the letter up to the light. She watched as his green-ish eyes scanned the length of the letter. "Nice stationary, Bohemian," Sherlock muttered. Lestrade chattered in the background and Sherlock shot him a look. "From the Czech Republic. No fingerprints?"

Lestrade shook his head. Sherlock made a noise of disappointment. "She used a fountain pen," Sherlock continued, "A Parker Duofold, iridium nib."

"She?" John asked.

"Obviously," Sherlock replied.

Carmen walked over to him and looked down at the letter. "Sherlock, why on God's green earth do you know so much about pens?"

Sherlock frowned in her direction as John chuckled. Carmen watched as Sherlock carefully cut the envelope open. Lestrade tapped on Carmen's shoulder, "Look, I'm sorry about eailer. I didn't mean--" Carmen waved him off, "It's fine, Detective Inspector."