Chapter 4: Lessons from the Master

"Whoa whoa whoa. Lemme get this straight," Jack said, taking a sip of his Coke float. "She's just leaving you. No adult there a'tall. Just my folks near-by?"

"That's correct," Kody affirmed.

"I think I'd be a little more excited than you seem."

"Well it is because my great-grandmother's dying," he said matter -of-factly.

"Yeah....I guess I could see how that could put a damper on it."

Just then, Peggy, the diner's ancient waitress asked in her raspy smoker's voice, " Will you boys be needing anything else today?"

"No, ma'am," Jack answered with a grin. "We're ready for the check."

And then he winked at her. She giggled a little and waved him off as she walked away.

Kody stared wide-eyed across the table. "What was that?"

"What?"

He leaned across the table and spoke under his breath and through his teeth. "Peggy is probably older than my dying great-grandmother!"

"And?"

"You just flirted with her."

"I did no such thing! Letting a woman know you 'preciate her and flirting are two very different things. You, my boy, have much to learn from the master."

"I doubt she knows the difference either, Master."

Jack shrugged. "Oh well. Prob'ly been a while since anybody flirted with her. Consider it my good deed for the day."

Kody rolled his eyes and finished off his float. "Anyway, besides my Granny being sick, there's Ginny. She's staying too."

Jack shook his head. "Nah, man. That ain't no problem. It dresses itself, bathes itself, feeds itself, keeps itself entertained. Your sister is the ideal roommate. Besides, she's gonna be on her best behavior because she don't wanna face the wrath of Aunt Susan when she gets back."

Kody sighed. "I don't think she fears anybody's wrath."

Jack pursed his lips. "I'm just saying there are worse things than having your sister around."

Peggy returned with the ticket and gave it to Jack, along with a suspicious glance. "I got this," he said after she walked away.

"You got the tip, too?" Kody asked.

"What? Tip? That's what the wink was all about. Gratitude!"

Kody opened his mouth to speak, but changed his mind. He should have expected as much from Jack Paserella. He shoved his hand in his pocket in search of some change while Jack paid at the counter. He was, in many ways still a little boy, a collector of useless trinkets that all made their home in his pockets. He came to this realization as he emptied his pockets onto the table, knowing there was at least a nickel or a dime somewhere in there.

The bell on the door jingled and he looked up to see Jack holding it open for three girls he knew from school. They all greeted and thanked him then turned to seat themselves. Kody searched frantically for that coin, then at last, he'd found it! He placed the dime on the table and leaned down to gather his treasures back up. When he stood straight, he backed into the prettiest of the girls.

"Oh, excuse me," she said meaningfully.

"I'm so sorry!" he gasped.

"No, no. I really should have been looking where I was going."