The Good King Sene

“You may not pass.”

The gate had been stubbornly closed since they left the Library- it refused to budge, even after

She glanced at Blue. “But we really need to leave-“

“You may not pass,” the gate repeated.

“We both have our paperwork, there is no reason why we cannot pass,” Blue said, anger rising in his voice. “Now let us through, or-“

The gate rattled, and Blue broke off midsentence. “You may pass after the speech.”

“What speech?” Penny asked, looking from the gate to Blue. Realization was passing over his face.

“Right, very sorry,” he said. Blue grabbed Penny’s arm and began walking her away from the gate.

Penny resisted. “What are you doing, Blue? What speech? We need to go, the Spirit said-“

“Good King Sene is giving a speech today. I can’t believe I forgot. We need to get to the City Center.”

“Why must we go?”

Blue didn’t stop walking. Penny had to jog to keep up with him. “Because if we are not in the City Center by the start of the speech, we at the mercy of the King’s Guard, and trust me, you do not want to be at the mercy of the King’s Guard.”

“Blue, for God’s sake, slow down!”

He did, though not by much. Penny still struggled to keep up with his long strides. They rounded the corner, and Penny could hear the roar of voices. Blue exhaled. “Thank goodness, we haven’t missed the start.”

They stood at the outskirts of the crowd. Hundreds of Fairies had gathered in the City Center, jostling and yelling. A large man with burly arms and delicate wings shoved passed Penny, and a small animal scurried into the mass of people on its hind legs. Blue kept his hand on Penny’s arm, for they would be separated if he removed it.

A loud voice suddenly boomed across the crowd. “Presenting his Highness, the Good King Sene.”

Penny strained to see. High above the City Center, on a balcony, stood a number of Fairies. Five of them, dressed in long black robes, stood in a semicircle around an extremely short man. He seemed to be only half Penny’s height, with a long black beard, and was wearing a brilliant gold mantel draped over his shoulders, bejeweled with all the precious stones of the earth. Penny was surprised he could even stand with it on his shoulders. “Is that the King?” she whispered to Blue.

He nodded, looking strained.

“My good Fae!” Sene shouted, lifting his little arms. “I am delighted to see all your joyous faces today!”

Penny glanced around her. No one looked joyous- they all looked angry, anxious, or like Blue, strained. The King continued. “I’m sure you have all been talking about this moment, for you all must be as excited as I am. It’s a monumental decision for us, my dear folks, and it shall change the course of Fairyworld for the rest of time.

“Too long have we lived in fear. We have let our world become corrupt, poisoned with outsiders. The purity of Fairyworld has been compromised, my friends, and we can no longer let this cruel injustice continue. I urge you to remember, those of you who still can, the time before the Fool Queens, when Fairies and only Fairies resided in Fairyworld. It was a time of prosperity and joy, for our Fairy blood was thick and undiluted. Under my rule, we shall again know that bliss!”

Penny glanced at Blue. His jaw line was tight, his fists clenched at his side. The crowd was similarly tense- she could feel it in the air, thick enough to cut. Penny didn’t know what the King was talking about- the Spirit had said Fairyworld was rife with warfare before the Wise Queens. Confused, she turned her attention back to the little King standing on the balcony.

“Cheer with me, my kind subjects, as I announce my new Law. In one weeks time, we shall close the doors to other worlds, once and for all! Let no more outsiders experience our beautiful lands- let Fairies and Fairies alone live here once again!”

The crowd erupted, but not in the way King Sene was expecting. Fairies started screaming, furious, cursing up at King Sene. They began to push harder than before, anger coursing through their veins, begging for a fight. Next to Penny, a woman was wailing, “No! My son! My son!”

Blue’s hand on Penny’s arm tightened. She looked up at him frightened. “Blue,” she started, just as someone ran into her. She fell onto her hands and knees, Blue’s grip not enough to keep her up. Pain coursed through Penny as Blue helped her up.

“Come on,” he shouted over the noise, protectively putting an arm around her. They fought through the thick swarm of Fairies, Blue leading the way.

Just as they were reaching the edge of the crowd, they heard King Sene’s voice. “Guards! Guards!”

Blue swore and started running, grabbing Penny’s hand and dragging her after him. They broke out of the throng and began racing down the street.

A shadow swallowed the road in front of them. Blue threw out an arm and stopped Penny. He pulled her over the buildings lining the street and pressed himself against the side. She followed his lead, her heart pounding. Penny glanced over at him, and he met her eyes. “King’s Guard,” he mouthed.

Penny nodded her understanding and pressed closer to the wall.

Huge, clomping footsteps sounded from around the corner and shook the wall they were standing against. Penny found Blue’s hand and squeezed it.

Then, the Guard rounded the corner, and Penny gasped.

They were stone. Huge, lumbering, and human-like: but they were made entirely out of stone. At almost ten feet tall, they towered far above Penny. In their grips they held weapons of massive proportions: maces, swords and clubs. Fear froze Penny, its icy fingers reaching through her blood.

Slowly, they stomped past Penny and Blue down the street. The roar of the crowd in the City Center rose to a crescendo.

For one heart stopping moment, a Guard stopped. The others walked past him, parting like the Red Sea. But the Guard slowly turned toward the wall Penny was pressed against. He had no eyes, no nose or mouth, or any discernable facial features. Just smooth rock.

Penny stopped breathing as the Guard stood facing them. Blue’s grip tightened. Penny was sure it was the end. The Guard would lift its club and just like that, her life would be over. Fairyworld would be at the mercy of King Sene.

But, finally, the Guard moved on. Penny exhaled in relief.

They began running again, adrenaline coursing through their veins. Penny and Blue turned the corner and skidded to a halt in front of the gate.

"Is the speech already over?" the gates asked, sounding slightly surprised.

"Yes, yes, it was very eloquent. Moving, really. May be pass now?" Blue said, out of breath.

The gate made a harumphing sound. "No need to be so rude. Good riddance to you." It swung open.

Trying their best to appear calm, Penny and Blue walked through, though inside their hearts were hammering.

“Stop them! Stop them!”

Penny glanced behind her.

Two men were running down the street toward the gates. They were holding their hats down and waving their arms about. “The city is in lockdown, stop them! No one shall leave!”

Blue and Penny broke into a run.

By the time the gate had opened, Penny and Blue were already too far gone to be caught.