Chapter Four: The Ipmenes

Being hated is far easier than being loved. I would know, I've been both, and I much prefer hatred.

- Former Ri of the Dylenes

-----------------------------------------------------------

    A small crowd had gathered around the strange creature in a bubble. It appeared to be unconscious, but definitely breathing.

Noelana pressed her face up against the bubble to get a closer look. "What is it?"

Amara shrugged. "I don't know. Laekces was the one who found it."

She grinned and started to taunt Amara. "Ooh. You like him."

Her face turned red and she quickly hushed Noelani as Laekces was approaching with the Rin. Both Noelana and Amara bowed their heads in respect, hands clasped behind their backs, as did the rest of the small group that had gathered. The group made way for the Rin, allowing him a wide area in which to swim around the bubble.

There was a moment of silence before the Rin cleared his throat. "What is this... thing Laekces?"

"I'm not sure, father. I found it while out hunting Kaerius and Tamesis. It was near the surface of the water so I put a bubble around it. I wasn't sure if it could survive underwater or not but it likes the air. I think."

The "thing" they were referring to was an altogether different species. It didn't have any gills or finger-webbing, or even webbing between its legs. And it was kind of tan, not at all pale.

The Rin took a moment to study it, noting its distinct features. "Well, it really doesn't look all that different from us."

Laekces blinked. "Are you out of it? That - That thing is horrid."

"I will not tolerate being spoken to like that by my own son. Now, as for this thing. We will be taking it back to the permanent settlement where a more definitive answer can be decided upon."

The Rin waved his hand and the bubble started to float alongside him as he swam away. Laekces lowered his head. The crowd broke up and started swimming south toward the settlement. All that remained of the former group was Amara. She swam over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Hey."

He smiled slightly and covered her hand with his. "Hey."

"What do you say we get out of here? Go off on our own, like an adventure. Just us two."

Laekces turned to face her and placed his hands on her hips. "As much as I would love that Amara, and I really would, you and I both know I have a job to do."

She placed her hands on his shoulders and swam in closer to him. "And when will you start living instead of just surviving?"

He stared into her deep green, almost black eyes for what could have been an eternity, each moment the two leaning in closer and closer before he suddenly pulled back, taking her hand in his. "We have to go back."

Amara looked down, sighing. "I know. Don't remind me." She thought he would let go of her hand but he held onto it loosely, gently pulling her along with him.

They quickened their pace in order to catch up with the rest of them, the group now far in the distance. She wasn't as fast as him, but he slowed down just for her sake and every once in awhile turned back to look at her. Everything else faded away into nothingness and it was just them, swimming, nothing pressing to handle and nowhere else to be anytime soon.

Amara would give anything to feel this way all the time. But he wasn't the only one with a job and duties and matters to be tended to and parents who some may describe as pushy and a future.

The two reached the settlement just seconds behind the Rin.

Most families don't create permanent structures and instead opted for a more migratory way of living, but the Ipmenes were no stranger to being different and pushing the boundaries. They were the first to create permanent buildings, and many assumed it was only a matter of time before the other families followed.

The group passed through the outskirts. It was a dark, solemn place, deserted in appearance, where the houses there were just hollow shells of what could be homes. Amara passed through the outer ring almost every day and always wondered what compelled those who lived on the outskirts to separate themselves from everyone they've ever known. She couldn't imagine willfully choosing to do that. But then again, there was Laekces. She couldn't imagine never talking to him again either.

The group passed the outskirts and entered the tower, a spiral column made of coral, shell, and seaweed that ascended high toward the surface, so tall in fact that the moonlight was clear in all its brilliance reflecting off the top. This was where the Ri and Rin lived with their direct family, including Laekces. Amara paused for a moment, looking up at the creation in awe before Laekces urged her forward.

They swam toward one of the rooms branching off the center, the bubble containing the creature in tow.

The group entered a large meeting space where several high ranking individuals were already seated and waiting. They all rose and bowed their heads respectfully with their hands clasped behind their back.

The bubble floated toward the center of the space, and the Rin directed everyone to grab a chair and sit around it.

"We are gathered here today to decide the fate of this ... creature," the Rin said.

The room erupted into whispers.

"What is that thing?"

"Who brought it here?"

"Where's it from?"

The Rin raised his hand as a request for silence. "All questions will soon be answered. Laekces?"

Laekces approached his father, two others following behind him. "Kaerius, Tamesis, and I were out hunting under the cover of night. We were, admittedly, going too near the surface but for good cause. It was near the surface that we saw this thing paddling around."

One of the family heads rose from the corner of the room. "And you thought it best to bring it here?"

"I- Well I- You see," Laekces looked to Kaerius and Tamesis for help.

Kaerius backed away but Tamesis chose to take the question head on.

"We don't know yet if this is a threat or not. We brought it here unconscious in the best interests of the family."

Another rose. "Since when have you ever cared about the 'best interests of the family' Tamesis? You tried to outright provoke war with the Dylenes just last week!"

"Silence!" The Rin demanded. "This is not a time for personal squabbling and infighting. And Ethali, we all know war with the Dylenes has been coming for a while. The skirmish last week was hardly anything compared to our history. As for this creature, we have but a few options. We could send it back to the surface."

Some murmured in agreement at that suggestion.

"We could try to communicate with it upon it waking."

Silence.

The door swung open and there was Cyraenin, one of the ones living on the outskirts of the settlement. "Or we could kill the damn thing!"