Chapter 8

I couldn't stop thinking about what my father had told me. It kind of freaked me out… Stop thinking about it! You should focus on the concert! I told myself. Jeremy found me sitting alone at lunch. He gave me a look and I shrugged.

"So how does it feel to have stood up to Brad and your father all in one day?"

"It was great. BVB really does help people." I said laughing.

"Glad to see you're happy. So I heard that Brad skipped school today."

"Really…why?"

"I don't know, but don't look now its Alex." Jeremy said tilting his head in her direction.

"Who cares." I said, even though I did care.

            I still like her, I do. And I really hope it wasn’t Brad who left that mark on her face that she tried so hard to cover. Our eyes met and I saw pain in her eyes. I got up and walked over to her. She tried to walk away but I put my arm on her back and led her to our table. Jeremy gave me a look, but I ignored it.

"Otto, really we shouldn’t…"

"No! Brad can't tell you what to do. He isn’t here today. It's okay, just relax."

"Otto, you don't know Brad. I can't sit with you, or talk to you. Brad threatened me. But say nothing or it's my head. If you want to talk we need to find a secret place." Alex said getting up, wanting me to follow.

"See you later, I'll fill you in." I said before I left Jeremy.

"Be careful dude!" Jeremy called after me.

            I followed Alex into a dark hallway. She took my hand and we kept walking. She led me into a room and turned the lights on.

"Is this really necessary?" I asked.

"Yes. Now Brad…"

"Hit you. I know, I can tell. It's been different with you two."

"How would you know? What if it wasn’t Brad?" She said defensively.

"Look, trust me. I know when someone has been hit, and by who. I can tell because I know what it's like."

"Well, fine. He hit me," she said pausing a moment, "I can't believe he actually hit me! And he threatened me. He said if I go near you it will be the last time I see you. So I can't be seen with you. He said he would hurt me if he had to get the message through. So please know that it's not my choice. I would love to hang out with you, and talk to you…but it's not possible. I can't breakup with him, but I will find a way to one day. For now I can't. Goodbye Otto." Alex said before kissing me and leaving me in the closet.

            I stood there with shock and anger. He hit her, and threatened her! That bastard was going down…he can't treat a girl like that, or anyone for that matter. He will pay…I will find a way to get him busted. I left the closet and made my way back down the dark hall into the bright lights. Lunch was almost over and I searched for Jeremy. I found him and took him to the bathroom and made sure it was empty before I told him everything.

"Dude that is twisted! He hit her? I can't believe it, that ass! And he threatened her say saying he would hurt you and then her! And she likes you, she kissed you! What are you guys going to do?"

"I don't know…not talk. I will find a way to expose him though."

"I'll help in any way I can." Jeremy said as someone came in.

"Get out! Find another bathroom frosh!" Jeremy shouted at the frightened freshman.

"That wasn’t nice." I said.