Chapter 7

Rian's POV

Alex was dead. There was no way he wasn't. 

Not that i knew that for sure but there's no way you could survive after dropping from that height right?

It was a gut-wrenching idea and i didn't want to believe it. 

It was all my fault!  I couldn't help but blame myself. If only i hadn't been so fucking stupid and went to talk to him earlier he might still be kicking about.

We weren't allowed to ride in the ambulance with Alex as his injuries were so extensive they needed the room for extra medical crew. 

The car screeched to a halt as i pulled up in the car park and we sprinted up towards the door. My mind was everywhere and i couldn't think straight. All i wanted was for Alex to be okay. 

Eventually, we found the reception desk. Sat behind it was a woman with bleached blonde hair and her boobs practically spilling out of her shirt. She was sat there chewing on a piece of gum and inspecting her talon like nails, not paying us any attention.

"Excuse me, where's Alex Gaskarth?" I said as politely as possible.

She just rolled her eyes at me "Couldn't you see that i'm busy?!" She screeched.

That's when i lost my cool.

"WELL I'M SORRY BITCH THIS IS A FUCKING HOSPITAL NOT A NAIL SALON SO TELL ME WHERE THE FUCK ALEX GASKARTH IS!" I screamed, banging my fists against the desk.

She jumped back in fear and checked the systems. "Floor 3, Room 32" She explained with the same bitchy tone "But he's in surgery so you'll have to wait outside"

I didn't bother thanking her or anything because quite frankly, she was useless. How did she even manage to get hired?

We managed to find the waiting area connected to the rooms around us and i slumped into a chair. It was pretty much silent. The only noises that could be heard were the sobs coming from jack and the occasional telephone.

Zack had his arms around Jack and was trying to comfort him the best he could. I knew he was devastated also but Zack wasn't one for showing emotions. 

About three hours later i heard footsteps coming down the corridor. My head snapped up and i saw a doctor coming towards me and the guys with a clipboard in his hands.

"I presume that you're here for Alex Gaskarth?" He stated.

I just nodded before asking all the important questions.

"Is he alive?"

"Is he okay?"

"Where is he?"

"Well" The doctor started "Alex is alive"

I gasped. He was alive? How did that even happen

It was as if the doctor could read my mind.

"It's a miracle that he's alive. We know that when he jumped from the building, he landed feet first, meaning minimal damage to his skull and brain but i'm afraid the rest of his body is almost smashed to pieces. Both his legs and his pelvis are shattered which is one things that they tried to correct in surgery. They managed to save them but he now has a number of metal plates and pins in his legs holding them together. When he wakes, he will have trouble walking but i'm almost 100% sure that his legs will be able to fully function again in about 3-6 months. The pelvis was fixed but a brace will have to be worn. He fractured 13 ribs which is surprisingly minimal but 11 of them are broken. One of the broken ribs unfortunately punctured his lung but that was sorted in surgery also. One of his arms is broken and both shoulders are dislocated. It's a miracle that none of his internal organs were seriously damaged. He is a very lucky man. The probability of surviving a fall like this is about 1 in 800. He is in a full body cast and will have to stay in it for about  a month until we think he can heal on his own. He is currently in a medical induced coma until he starts to recover from his injuries."

My mouth fell open at the amount of damage that had been done to Alex's body. I thought about all the pain he must be in and how i could have stopped it. I looked at Jack who's eyes were wide and soon he was hysterical again. 

"Now for this next part, lets sit down together. We need to talk about Alex's mental health."

I gulped but sat down with the guys and the doctor.

"Now," he said "Looking at Alex's record, i can see that he was admitted a few months ago with deep lacerations on his arms. We released him without diagnosis. But-oh, wait. I just saw that he already has one"

"What?" I asked confused "No. Alex doesn't have anything wrong with him. We're like brothers to him. He would have told us."

"It seems that he was diagnosed with two conditions at age 12 after the death of his brother" He replied

We all knew that Alex struggled after Tom died but i didn't know that it affected him that much.

The doctor then spoke again "It seems like he's been struggling to deal with his illnesses recently and that caused this suicide attempt. Before he jumped, did he say anything concerning?" He asked.

I thought about it and then realised something "Yes. Just before he jumped, he was screaming that we weren't real and that he wasn't crazy"

"Ah yes" Replied the doctor 

"That's because Alex has anxiety and Psychotic Depression"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Sorry it's been a while since the last update but things were just really hectic over Christmas! What do you think of this chapter and revelation? 

Please vote and comment because you know i love to read them :)

xoxo