Chapter 4

Sunday is uneventful. All I did was sit around on the couch, because I didn't feel up to doing anything. I'm dreading going to school tomorrow. Hopefully I won't bump into Peeta. But wait, his father took away his car, so he will have to walk to school tomorrow. Great. At least I'll have Prim with me. Except for the fact that Peeta likes Prim and Prim likes Peeta. Ugh! Oh well. I go to bed with a headache. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to be sick tomorrow and not have to go to school.

I wake up with no such luck. I shower and put on a black shirt with a red flower on the side and gold sparkles all over it. I wear that with dark skinny jeans and some black boots. Instead of braining my hair, I let my natural waves fall over my shoulders. After I'm dressed I grab my phone, backpack, and purse then run downstairs to the kitchen where I see Prim eating a piece of toast. She has made me one and sat it on a napkin for me.

"Thanks Prim. We need to go now. Come on," I say. She grabs her backpack and we head out the door. I lock it and turn to see Peeta hugging Prim. Ugh! I knew we'd see him! I start walking and call to Prim, "Come on Prim we need to go or we'll be late!"

"Can Peeta walk with us? Pleeeease?" she asks, sticking out her bottom lip. She knows I can't say no to that.

"Fine. But come on we need to hurry," I say

Prim and Peeta talk the whole way to the middle school, when I hug Prim and kiss her forehead. "Have a good day, Little Duck," I say to her. She kisses my cheek.

"I love you Kat," she says, then hugs Peeta. "Bye Peeta!"

Peeta and I start walking to the high school. "You really love her don't you? Prim, I mean,"Peeta asks.

"Of course I do. She's all I've got. My father died and my mother is always working at the hospital," I say.

"I'm sorry about your dad," he says with a sad look on his face.

"Why? You didn't kill him. Some stupid drunk did," I say.

"True. But I'm sorry for your loss. Really I am,"he says.

"Can we just not talk about it, please!" I say. I'm on the verge of tears. I am really trying to keep it together. I don't like people seeing me cry. Especially not my worst enemy.

"Ok, Katniss," Peeta says. Since when did he start calling me by my first name? Oh well. We walk the rest of the way in silence.

School is tiring and the bell finally rings for lunch. I get my food, then make my way over to the table my group always sits at. Only Finnick is there when I get there.

"Hey Kitty Kat!" Finnick says. He always calls me that, because he knows it irritates me.

"Hey Fish Boy!" I say back to him. He fakes a sad look on his face.

"Oh Kitty Kat, why so mean?" he says. Annie, Marvel, and Glimmer show up to the table just then. Annie sits by Finn, of course. They have been dating for 3 years. Glimmer and Marvel started dating this year, so they sit together. Next to come to the table is Cato, Clove and Jo. Cato and Clove like each other, but don't go out yet. Clove and Jo sit on both sides of me with Clove across from Cato and Johannah across from Glimmer who is next to Marvel.

"So prom is next week and us girls went dress shopping on Saturday!" Annie squeals.

"Yeah! Kat's dress is the best one of all of us!" Glimmer says. "And she's so pretty, I don't understand why she doesn't have a date yet!"

"Maybe because no one has asked me Glimmer!" I say somewhat frustrared. Jo, Clove and I are the only ones that don't have dates, but Cato told me he was gonna ask Clove. She'll say yes of course!

"Well, well, well. So your boyfriend didn't ask you to the prom yet?" I hear the dreaded voice. Gale.

"I-I-uh I-uh," I stutter. All my friends are just watching this happen. Thanks guys!

"I was actually about to ask her just that! And what did I say about looking at Katniss? Leave NOW Gale!" Peeta yells at Gale. Gale just stiffles a laugh and Peeta's punch hits him hard in the jaw. "See how easy you can laugh with a broken jaw. Have a nice day Gale," Peeta says, his voice dripping with sarcasm. Gale just stumbles off without a word.

All my friends are still just sitting there only now their jaws have dropped.

"Thank you, Peeta, but I told you that you didn't have to do that," I say then walk away. I push through the doors of the cafeteria and go to my locker. I hear footsteps behind me and I have a feeling its Clove coming to see if I'm okay, but it's not. It's Peeta.

"Just go away! I know you were helping me and I'm very greatful, but I thought you hated me!" I yell at him. He seems startled by my sudden outburst. He hesitates like he wants to say something, but he just turns and walks away.