Keep Looking

I felt the tiny needles of pain shoot through my neck to head, threatening to take my consciousness. The sound of the needle buzzing in my ear as it stained my skin caused my heart to follow its' pattern. I could only stare at the wall because it mimicked the cool numbness I was trying so hard to portray. My best friend, Olivia, sat there watching me, trying to gage how much pain I was really in. She knew by the look in my eyes that it was on the excruciating level. When I finally allowed myself to blink it was over. The stabbing pain in the right side of my neck decreased to a dull throbbing.

The man who had been drawing the intricate tattoo dabbed it and covered it in plastic. I could hear Olivia's voice talking to the tattoo artist, paying for it. It was her gift to me for my fifteenth birthday. Their  voices became distant sounds as I finally tried to move. As I started to sit up I could feel someone watching me, thinking it was Olivia I looked up into the eyes of a guy. They weren't the amber ones I was expecting, but a brilliant green.

I had never seen eyes so bright; they were the kind I always wished I had. He stood against the wall with his arms folded, just watching. His short black hair was clean and I could tell that it was the color he was born with. His plain black t-shirt clung to his body, and I could see the outline of toned muscles under his pale skin. Everything about him was sharp, the color of his eyes, his detailed cheekbones, and his defined jaw even his light skin was bright under the lights inside the parlor.

As I was examining him I knew he was doing the same to me. My curly, auburn hair hung to my mid-back, my pale skin was as light as his and my thin body was covered in black leggings, my favorite black high-tops, and a white t-shirt I was sleeping in  when Olivia's sister came to pick me up at midnight. He stared the longest at my face, following the line of my jaw bone to the curve of my small lips then meeting my eyes. I could tell he liked my eyes the most because the corner of his mouth twitched upward. Olivia always told me they're one of my best features and that she'd never seen anything like them. The thick layer of blue along the outside gets lighter and then leads to sea green and a bright layer of yellow around my pupil.

It sounds so strange saying that we just stood there staring, but that's exactly what we did. No flirty smiles or rude glances, just two people that were meant to meet each other and knew it. My gaze was finally broken by Olivia grabbing my hand while saying good-bye to her cousin as he counted his money.

As we walked toward the door I glanced back and he was gone. The boy with black hair had faded into the shadows, but somewhere inside me I knew I would unavoidably see him again and Ilooked forward to it. Everything about him was what I always looked for in a guy, but, of course, was impossible to find in our small town. He was mysterious and dark but he was strong and alluring. I couldn't wait to look into his eyes again

"So, cousin Paul gave me a discount cuz it's your birthday, but then he added it back on because your under eighteen, what a jerk", Liv said with disaproval in her voice, " that's why I never save him a peice of my famous pumpkin pie at thanksgiving".

I laughed at how Liv thought not giving someone pie was the biggest diss in the world. She laughed too as her soft, blond hair blew into her face. By the time we found her sister's car my hands were completely numb. As I climbed into the thrumming Geep Erin, Liv's sister, immediately began to examine my neck. She couldn't look away from it; I could feel her eyes tracing the patterns the thorny vines made from the bottom of the right side of my neck to the thick, red rose right below my ear. Everything about it was intricate; the individual spikes on the black vines, the specific twists and turns they made so they were still connected and the rich red color of the petals of the rose that, were so realistic, I imagined they would be velvety if I touched them. The whole thing almost had a faint golden glow around it, making it look unreal, but i figured i would imagine it like that after getting up at midnight to go have it done. 

"Beautiful", breathed Erin, still gazing at my tattoo.

"Well, your not so bad yourself", i said with a wink which received a chuckle from Liv.

The whole ride home we blasted the radio and sang at the top of our lungs, it was perfect. One of the best birthdays I could remember. We pulled into my house and I snuck in through the back door. I could hear my Grandpa snoring from his arm chair and i could picture exactly how he was: sleeping with his glasses still on and a fishing magazine across his chest. It was just him and me in our big house and it wasn't even necessary for me to sneak around, he didn't really care if i was out late, he trusted me, but i wanted the full affect of sneaking out at night and being a rebel. I mean I'm not a goody-two-shoes, i've had my fair share of bad moments including a few fights, but i've never snuck out before.

As i walked through the kitchen my neck suddenly began to throb and the floor swam in front of my eyes. I grabbed for the table but i was too late, my knees hit the tiled floor with a loud thump, but luckily not loud enough to wake my grandpa. I felt my way pat my Grandpa then up the stairs as black dots darted across my eyes. I landed on my bed right as the world went black.

Thanks to anyone who's reading!! this is my first story on here so comment and let me know what you think :)