Chapter 21

Sorry for the wait, but I hope you enjoy. Dedicated to @Smilebob12345 for keeping me on track. Thank you. 

Chapter 21

Michael took a deep breath as the video conference call enabled and he was streamed into the office of 10 Downing Street.

"Prime Minister," Michael clasped his hands behind his back and looked down into the laptop screen on the table in front of him where he could see the torso and lower half of the prime minister as he sat at his desk.

He did not right the camera as he busied himself signing separate documents in front of him leaving Michael with only a partial view of him.

"Mr Truro," He called out in a diplomatic voice, "Are we any closer to identifying these individuals?"

"No sir," Truro replied, "But we have enacted the terrorism protocol and have all high-profile targets on lockdown. It is very unlikely that they will be able to follow through with their plan."

"If those are indeed the intended targets," The PM turned and looked at the camera with an arched eyebrow.

"It is possible sir that there may be other intended targets and we are co-ordinating with the local police forces to search as many places as we can, but until we identify those involved it's, pardon the phrase, but looking for a needle in a haystack."

The prime minister stopped what he was doing and turned to the camera, staring at Truro's image on his screen.

"Sir," Truro stood taller, clasping his hands in front of him.

"What are you suggesting, Mr Truro, that we stop searching?"

"Not at all, sir," Truro shook his head, "We have located the main terrorist cell in Afghanistan responsible for the planning of this attack. They will have the information we need."

"What are you waiting for then?" He asked, "There is a credible threat to British soil."

"Sir," Truro stepped forward, lowering the volume of his voice, "They have your niece, and nearly two dozen children."

The Prime Minister reached up and slowly removed the glasses from his nose as he ran a hand across his mouth, staring across the room.

Truro looked around him as he gave the PM the time he needed but they may have already run out of time. They don't know when the attack was supposed to take place, or where.

"Sir," Truro called, "If we engage the enemy then we risk the chance of . . ."

Coughing, the prime minister turned back to the camera, "Is a night time assault possible?"

"We are drawing up contingencies at this very moment for the least amount of casualties, but sir," Truro leant against the desk, "that's not what I'm asking."

"What are you asking?" the prime minister stared at him through the screen.

Truro took a breath, "We don't know how many bombs or individuals there are, we don't know how many targets there are or how many people could be harmed in these attacks. It could be worse than the 7/7 bombings."

Truro looked up and saw the people around him pause as they remembered the attacks.

"But what we do know sir is the location of the head terrorist cell and they may not be there for long. We will carry out an operation and try to rescue everyone inside along with valuable intel to the best of our ability, but if there is a risk that they could escape then . . ." Truro looked down.