Chapter One

I clutched my left side with the opposite hand as I limped along the lifeless corridor, nothing but torches lighting my way. Intimidating thunder roared in the distance; the pitter-patter of raindrops collapsing adjacent to the sea god mosaic glass window at the end of the hall. Outside, waves crashing against the sand and mossy rocks are music to my ears, but the only light let in was the occasional blast of lightning, the sharp metallic blue sending my mind to reminisce about my life before.

Before everything changed.

Before my life was turned upside down.

"Melody, sweetheart, don't do this," pleaded Mother as I hid behind her larger figure, using her long red hair as a curtain, trembling from both despair and bewilderment. Although I was too small to fully understand the situation unfolding before me, I was able to wrap my young mind around the basic instance.

"You don't get it. I have to. Don't you see? You've driven me this far, Ariel," her eldest daughter responded, snarling at our mother's name. She sounded no different than the Sea Witch herself.

"He's using you, Melody," tried Father. His black hair was combed perfectly, but his bright blue eyes radiated betrayal. I had never seen my father so dismayed before that day. I guess he had grown accustomed to the sensation.

"She has chosen her path. It is no longer your decision," the words, laced with venom, spit out of the mouth of an older boy beside Melody. He looked to be around the same age as my sister, who was a only decade older than me. He was built of confidence.

I faintly remember the earsplitting shriek erupting from my sister's lips as the male plunged his fist into her chest and withdrew a bright scarlet orange object. It soon disappeared into his own sternum, sending a vibrant yellow aura to glow around his form, and my flesh and blood crashing to the ground as her skull met the cold palace sand dollar tiling.

Regretfully, I looked up at the killer that stood over Melody's unconscious frame. His personnel was now a blur of green and brown, but those piercing soulless dark green eyes were hard to forget as they seemingly stared into the pit of my mind and soul searching for my greatest fears and replacing them with images of him.

Almost ten years have passed since that day. We all lost a piece of ourselves and, as I grew over time, I came to realize what had really happened. Why Melody had snapped.

After the incident, grandfather had grown sick. After all, he did lose his first granddaughter. Mother has gone to visit him every month and returns for a week before leaving once more, which has only made Father angry. She has tried to reason with him, but in the end, I suffer from it; always have, always will.

The agonizing pain in my side began to subside, but I could still feel a thick, warm liquid drip down my hip, if not already absorbed by my nightgown.

"_____! I will always find you," threatened my guardian, his words slurred from the heavy intoxication of alcohol and sorrow.

His voice alone could send shivers down my spine. My body tensed as my mind acknowledged his threat, but my legs continued to trudge. The loose red and gold rug shifted underneath the soles of my feet, gravity forcing my body against the wooden flooring of the hallway.

As I lied on the floor, my side aching of pain once more, the footsteps in the distance grew louder as they drew closer. The hairs on my neck and arms stood up in reflex. Still clamping my hip, I dragged myself across what length I had left until I reached the safety of my large bedroom.

I heard the echoing tread gaining on my tail. I looked forward at the door only meters away, then back down the dark corridor for the source of the feet. As I continued to hold myself with my one good arm and leg, I replayed my actions over and over again in my mind. I tried hobbling away, but I collapsed from balance, or lack thereof.

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry," apologized a woman's voice. I glanced toward the sound to find a middle-aged female maybe forty years older than I, looming over me. Her face was shadowed by bleached grey bangs and the rest of her hair was held in a high bun. She dropped whatever clothes were laying in her hands as she stood in the doorway and rushed toward me. "Let's get you cleaned up, dear."

The woman-- one of my parents' many servants-- reached down to carry the burden that I am. I flinched as her grip on my waist tightened. Her calloused hands were gentle as they moved to hold my weight, and she cautiously brought me over to my bed. My head pounded as it hit the pillow.

The cool air entered through my bay window, violet curtains blowing, and made contact with my skin as the woman raised the hem of my dress, revealing the long, deep gash across my left side, blood still oozing from all directions and leading us to question where the cut truly was. Just staring at it made me feel woozy.

Just another scar to add to the collection, I thought, and it was the truth.

My back alone told a story-- a story that I did not wish to share. Not even Mother knew of what went on during her absence.

The woman must have noticed me shiver, vulnerable to the unwelcomed breeze. She rushed over to my closet, the sea shell centered on the door spreading a warm smile across my face as she returned with a military green zipperless hoodie, which she assisted me in pulling onto myself.

The familiar smell sent my mind to the shore. My imagination felt the sand between my toes and wind against my face, blowing aback my strands and removing them from hiding my face.

"What was it this time, darling," the woman asked, her voice sounded of sympathy, not empathy.

"Mincing knife," I replied as I reflected on the curved blade and winced as I felt the incision all over again, my father's words recirculating through my thoughts.

You get what you deserve.

'What did I ever do to him to make him hate me?' was all I ever wondered.

Suddenly, fear shot through my entire body, the blood in my veins turning to adrenaline as my father’s fist pounded against the door.

"Open up this door right now, _____! Or so...help me, I...will break it...down," Father boomed as his interrupting hiccups made him sound less formidable and fearsome. The woman gave me a nod before approaching the door, her steps slow and cautious.

"Sir," she addressed kindly as she set the white oak wood door ajar, "she's just a child. She--"

"Shut up, imbecile!" His tone raised my blood pressure and caused my bones to shake. He violently pushed her down and made his way to me.

With each step, time seemed to slow, as if the gods were postponing the inevitable just for their own dramatic suspense and entertainment. As if they fed on torment and fear. He raised his hand above my head and I squeezed my eyes shut, preparing for the impact that was sure to come.

But it never did.

I haltingly opened my right eye, not letting my guard down, to see what was preventing him from doing the thing he loved most, but was astounded to find my father trembling more than I was, staring at something near my window.

I directed my attention to what made The Devil himself cower in fear, curious at to what it was and what it could do. What history they might have had.

A new gust of cool air filled the room as the figure just floated there, watching our every moves. Its purple sapphire-like blazing eyes gave great contrast to its deathly grey ghastly figure, which was the shape of a boy.

Quite honestly, I was unsure of the reason behind my father's fear. He was much more terrifying than a...shadow?

But to whom does the shadow belong? I thought.

Its gaze turned to lock with mine, forcing an increase in my pulse, although it was not the same effect my paternal figure had. I heard a deafening banshee cry and, before I could react, the ghost was hurdling toward me, faster than a speeding bullet.

On instinct, I ducked, but the shadow grasped each of my wrists and yanked me out of the open window and into the brisk atmosphere of the now cloudless starry night. The rain and lightning had somehow stopped, but I was in too much pain to struggle. I observed the sight of my family's seaside palace shrink and become more distant as I flew higher and deeper into the limitless sky, viewing my old life disappear before me.

Until everything went black.