Prologue

10 years ago

"Hey Dany, what's up?" I ask and I sit up as my best friend walks into my room.

"Hey Vi, I have some awesome news!" Daniel says as he sits down next to me on my bed.

"Oeh, oeh tell me!" I say excitingly. Daniel chuckles at my excitement, but I can tell by his face that he's very excited as well.

"Okay, so I got a very exciting phone call today."

"Who was it?"

"Someone from Formula Renault," Daniel says and I gasp, knowing what he is going to say.

"Did you get it?"

"I did! I got the seat!"

"Congratulations!" I exclaim as I wrap my arms around Daniel's neck. Daniel chuckles and wraps his arms around my waist, hugging me back.

"Thanks Vi."

"I'm so happy for you! You're gonna do so well, I know it!" I say as I pull back, looking at Daniel with a smile on my face, matching his smile.

"Let's hope so."

"I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you, I still can't really believe it."

"When are you starting?"

"About that," Daniel says and his smile drops, making mine do the same as I know it is serious. Daniel almost always has a smile on his face.

"What is it Dany?"

"As the championships are in Europe, it's not really handy that I stay in Australia. So I'll be moving to Europe."

"When?"

"Soon, I need to train and do tests and stuff before the season starts."

"So you're leaving me?"

"I'm really sorry Vi," Daniel says as tears start appearing in my eyes. He notices and wraps his arms around me again, pulling me into another hug.

"I'll miss you so much," I say as tears start falling down my face.

"I'll miss you to, Vi. But I promise I'll text you and call you. I'll tell you about everything that is happening. You can maybe even come to some races! Or you can come over when you have holidays. We'd have so much fun in Europe!"

"It won't be the same though."

"No, I know. But, Vi, if I do my best, this could be the way to Formula 1! That's my dream!"

"I know that and I want you to follow your dream. I want you to be a Formula 1 driver. But I also want my best friend," I sigh as I pull back out of Daniel's hug.

"You'll have me, I'll still be there for you, no matter what. No matter what the distance between us is, we'll always be best friends. Nothing can break us apart Vi," Daniel tells me as he looks straight into my eyes. I believe him, his brown orbs tell me that he means it.