Chapter 8: Vitale- It Was Us Against the World-

Waking up for school on Monday was completely impossible and making my hair publicly acceptable was proving to be most difficult. I tested out seventeen different freezing gels, nine combs, and at least a dozen radically different styles before I finally gave up. All that product was hardening my hair into an awkward, shiny mess on the top of my head. I totally looked like a ken doll. I groaned, burying my face in my hands. Today felt like the perfect day to blow off school.

After my shower, I blow dried my hair and honestly made an attempt at getting dressed. Yeah, that didn’t happen. I made it as far as my cardinal-red underwear, and stopped.

I sat down on my golden duvet and stared at the wall. I didn’t know what else to do. If I allowed my mind to wander, I was bound to end up with dizzying thoughts about Caldwell.

I stood up suddenly, resolving to find something to read. I had already finished The Great Gatsby during my weekend with my mom. I read it aloud, and we were both sobbing by the end. Maybe I could keep myself busy with the notorious adventures had by the consulting detective, Sherlock Holmes, and his Army Doctor, John Watson.

My hand made acquaintance with the gilded door handle, and a thrill of excitement ran through me, raising goosebumps over my skin. I was barely dressed at all, and I was actually going to leave my room. I felt so... naughty. I smirked to myself as I slinked out the door; there was no way Prince was still home so it wasn’t like I was giving anyone a “free show.” When I finally made it over to the book shelves, I dragged my finger across the spines of the various hardback books. The cool paper made my skin tingle. The books were, naturally, organized by the last names of the authors, and when I hit the letter “Z,” for Emile Zola, I cursed aloud. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s novels were sitting on the top shelf, staring down at me. I could almost hear them teasing me about my short stature.Dammit.

On tip-toes, I awkwardly pressed myself against the bookshelf, reaching my fingers out to my anthology of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries. As soon as I had the book in my grasp I hear a suspicious sound. It was the sound of a door opening. I clutched the thick book to my chest and lowered myself to the ground, turning around slowly.  

Princeton was leaning on his door jamb-- shirtless. His eyes were shut. His mouth open. His arms outstretched. My ears felt like they were suddenly stuffed with cotton balls; I knew he was yawning, I knew I should be running away as fast as possible. I knew I shouldn’t be ogling his abs, because he’s probably the biggest ass I’ve ever met in my life, but I couldn’t look away.

Then his eyes opened, and my ears cleared, and his gaze crashed into mine.

“Where the hell are your clothes?” His eyes were filled to the brim with loathing.

I pointed to my bedroom door. “I-in there?” It sounded more like a question than the statement of a fact.

“And why the fuck aren’t you wearing them?”

“I-I-I... don’t know.”

It was his turn to point at my open door. I swear, his face was turning blue from not breathing or something. “Get. The fuck. Out of my sight, faggot.”

I nodded vigorously at Princeton and bolted into my room. The door made a booming noise as it shut behind me, and I flung the thick novel onto my bed. I went back into the bathroom, turning on the bathtub tap. Steam swirled through the air as the basin filled. Then I allowed my mind to wander to the most wonderful fantasies of Caldwell Irvine in nothing but his speedo and his swimming cap. I was so done with life right now.

One question kept rolling around in my mind while I sat cross-legged on my bed: What the hell is going on with me? There was a burning ache that had settled in the lower part of my stomach- and I was fully aware what that ache was, I wasn't a complete idiot- that just wouldn't go away. I stared at the words on the page of my Sherlock Holmes novel without actually reading them. I swear, I've been trying to read this same page forever.