Unlifting Mist

As I walked down the old gravel road I glanced up at the mist. It had always been there, even on the hottest, sunniest of days. Today was sadly not one of those days. The rain was lightly pattering on my darkened brown hood. The cloak of fog shrouded the village of Dargor in an unpenetrable mask of fear and unhappiness. I could hear the beasts lurking about on the other side of that great, grey cloud. They waited for us to cross the line of stupidity and hand our lives over for their pickings. Whatever horrible creatures lie in wait behind that curtain only seek the taste of our blood in their mouths and the satisfying crunch in between their teeth of our bones.

My village has lived in fear of these animals since the beginning of time. Whenever one steps past the wall of mist that surrounds Dorger, the likes of them will never be seen again. Once every four months our elders send five strong men to collect food and supply extras from the neighbor villages but the most to ever return was three of them. The others had lost their lives to the beasts.

Although we have a treaty there isn't much agreement between our families and the beasts. We give them an animal sacrifice on the last day of every month. In return they give our men a three day warning before an attack.

Well, that is the life of me, Juliette Tanner.