Chapter Five - Eliza Green

"Will she be alright?"

"Yes, sir. It's just a mild concussion."

My eyelids fluttered open, and I was blinded by the sun pouring into my room from my large windows. My head throbbed and my feet were in huge amounts of pain. I looked over to my left to find my governess fussing about with a bowl of water and a flannel. Then, to my right, was Benjamin and the young woman who had rescued me.

"Good morning, Miss LaBelle. How are you feeling?" Amidst the static buzzing in my ear, her voice was smooth and gentle.

"Absolutely rubbish..." I muttered. My voice was croaky and sore. To Benjamin's dislike, I sneezed several times and then groaned. I had caught a dreadful cold from the expedition last night.

"Amélie, I feel that it is my place to scold you for your careless actions."

I rolled my eyes, and climbed out of bed. I noticed that somebody had undressed me and put me into a night gown. The woman was silent, and she stared at the ground as she sat gracefully on a chair. I snapped eyes away, trying not to let my stupid mind get carried away.

"Don't roll your eyes at me, Amélie. What makes you think you can wonder around Whitechapel alone at night? How do you think we felt when you came home unconscious, soaking wet, with blood smeared up your dress - and with another man, according to the woman who delivered you here! It is such a stupid, careless action and I am ashamed of you."

His smirk had vanished, and his usually playful eyes were burning with anger. I sat at my dressing table, and tried not to look at him. He had looked like he was up all night too - dark rings were sat underneath his eyes.

"Oh, Benjamin. You know I'm not promiscuous in that sense. You know how I feel about the opposite sex since the incident in Paris, so stop fussing."
His cheeks turned a deeper shade of magenta at my scandalous comment and the woman smirked at the floor. Benjamin was always fairly accepting of my... peculiar feelings, but he probably felt horrifically embarrassed for me to declare them in front of a stranger. Caring for the same sex is, unfortunately, terribly taboo for women in my day and age - but does that stop me? No.

"That is not the point!" His voice had an incredible amount of venom in it. "You could've been murdered! Please promise me that you will never do that again..."

"I can't promise you anything, Benjamin. I am not the type of person to make promises."

Benjamin simply got up, and walked out of the room in a huff.

I turned towards my governess, Sophie, and rolled my eyes once more.

"You really should be more careful, Amélie. Last night two people were found dead in Whitechapel. That could've easily been you."

My brain flicked back to the memory of the corpse from the alley. I shuddered.

"I know... Me and that gentleman found one of them when we were coming home."

Sophie's eyes lit up with fear. She grabbed my arm and stared at me with concern.

"Oh goodness, no! I hope you're not upset by it... When I heard the details, I nearly fainted! The little maid, bless her, actually lost her half-digested breakfast when she heard."

I thought for a moment. Am I upset by it? Do I feel traumatized? After a few seconds of thinking, I realised that I wasn't affected by it at all.

"No, I'm not upset by it. I'll be okay." I took a bite out of the iced biscuits that she had put down on my dresser that morning.

Sophie gave me an odd look. Most ladies would collapse just thinking about what I saw - but I didn't. I almost scared myself thinking that I wasn't afraid. Was I ill? Or was I just desensitised by my over-active imagination? "Alright my dear... You're probably still in shock. Anyway, I'll leave you. Miss over there wanted a word anyway. She was the one who-"

"I know." I turned around and faced the woman. Sophie got up and left.

She shifted in her seat, smiling up at me.

"Good morning Amélie, I don't think your maid said my name. I'm Eliza Green." She slipped her silk glove off and stuck her dark hand out to shake mine.

I took her hand and shook it. Unlike my calloused hands, hers were soft and gentle. " It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Green."

"Oh, please, just call me Eliza." Her large lips curled with her smile - she must've been of Spanish descent. Her accent was unmistakably English, but her mesmerizing skin tone reflected the beauty and radiance of the Mediterranean.

I smiled back, and stammered on my words. "Th...thank you so much for aiding me last night. I owe you so much for returning me safely." Since I had been in poverty as a servant during my childhood, my instinct was to curtsy or bow to people of such elegance like her, hence why I did the gesture towards her.

She appeared to be surprised, but flattered by my high gratitude. "It's not a problem, Amélie. I was so adamant on staying 'till morning to see your condition due to the state you were in when I found you. How is your head, may I ask?"

"A little tender, but I'll be fine." I prodded the protruding lump on my skull.

"Alright, good good. Anyway, I must go now. My father will be wondering when I'll be back. Here is my address. I'd love it if you could stop by for a cup of tea later today if you are up to it?" The parchment she handed to me had an address neatly written on it - telling me that not only did she live in the richest part of town, but she also was incredibly well skilled in the handwriting department.

"It would be my pleasure, Eliza." I said, smiling up at her. She had stood up, and I realized she was about a head taller than me.

"I shall see you then. Good day, Amélie." She nodded her head respectfully, and elegantly glided out the door with her long purple dress trailing after her.

"Good day..." I mumbled, watching her go in awe.

For a moment, I was lost in time staring at the wall wondering who I had just met.

Why did she wait all night? That's unheard of... She must've been quite worried...

I continued to get lost in my thoughts, but I was snapped out of my haze by the garishly loud clock on the wall, indicating that it was an hour before noon. Realizing that Lady Anastasia's appointment was in just over an hour, I collected all my art supplies and my new book which had been hanging out to dry and rushed to my art room to do a warm up sketch before she arrived.