5. The Tale of Jacob Buschell

Our footsteps echo in the hall as we run, following Tyler's lead. “We'll have to jump into the ocean. The garbage chutes aren't open at this time.” He says, though I'm not really paying attention. The only thoughts on my mind are of Mary. Was Mitchell telling the truth? Was she really a soulless being now? No, it couldn’t be true.

“Hurry up, Jacob!” Sarah's frightened voice jolts me from my thinking process. I pick up the pace and catch up to them. They had stopped in front of a heavy door that Tyler was in the process of opening. I hurry to his side and heave my shoulder against the metal, trying to help Tyler.

“Come on!” I growl, pushing with all my might. Sarah joins the two of us and soon after, the door gives way and we're all plunging into the angry green sea below us. I stop myself from shouting as the cold water hits my body.

Hands grasp mine and I'm being pulled up to the surface. Sarah doesn't say a word when I emerge, but instead turns and starts swimming towards the visible harbor of Seaway Docks. From the splashes behind me, I can guess Tyler is doing the same.

Using long strokes, I keep pace with my sister, racing against time to get to the town and to safety. My muscles burn from the exertion and the bitter cold ebbs away, the heat from my body forcing it to leave. Tyler was right about the current at least, it was pushing us towards the docks.

Sarah makes it to the harbor first and climbs up the ladder onto the wooden deck. Tyler swims ahead of me and heaves himself up after her. Lastly, there's me. I climb the mold-covered ladder and land on the docks. The breathing from the three of us is loud and heavy; I can even see the swirling white vapors leave our mouths with each breath.

“Come on, we have to go into the town.” I say, needing to find Mary as soon as I can to make sure she's okay.

Tyler and Sarah exchange looks. “Jake, we were thinking-” Sarah starts.

“Don't tell me to forget about her!” I tell them instantly.

“Jacob, she's gone. Her soul was already taken. The whole town has been de-souled.” Tyler says. “You two were the last since it took so long for you to wake up.”

I can't believe what he's saying. Give up? Leave Mary? “No, I can't do that.”

“Jake-” Sarah reaches for me.

“Go.” I tell her. “You guys leave, get away from here.” My eyes lock with theirs. “Get away while you still can. I'll find you.”

The two of them nod before racing off to find a boat. I go in the other direction towards the center of the town, my soaked shoes hitting the docks with a squish. My clothes stick to me, drenched with water and dripping onto the dock. My feet carry me down the harbor and I can see the usual crowd of people wandering around the town. That's when I spot that familiar red hair blowing in the wind that is coming off of the ocean.

Without much thought, I make a beeline for her, knowing who she was even when her back is turned. “Mary,” I inquire of the girl before me. She turns to me, her hair blocking my view of her face. She says nothing, distantly smiling. “Mary, answer me, please.” I start to plead, my fear getting the best of me. I move her hair, tucking the long strands behind her ears. A gasp escapes my mouth and I back away from her. Her usually pale green eyes are clouded, white.

“Hello sir,” Her voice is dead to my ears. “Welcome to Seaway Docks. How may I help you?”

No, it's not possible. “Mary, it's me, Jacob. Your boyfriend?” She’s just forgotten me and… and she’s wearing contacts. My thoughts are working at full speed, coming up for any excuse as to why Mary is not herself.

“Sir, please await here while authorities come to settle matters.” Mary speaks as other citizens turn towards me, their eyes the same swirls of white.

“Mary, what are you talking about?” The people close around him, their pale hands grasping at my clothes. Mary starts to step out of the crowd. “Mary! Help me! Mary!”

“Please remain calm sir.” She says, a sort of malevolent smile crawling on her face. Mary's angelic face no longer resembles a heaven sent being, but a demon.

“No, it can't be happening! Mary! Mary!” I'm buried in the hands of the other soulless citizens of the town, my cries falling on deaf ears.

Men’s dress shoes click against the docks, coming towards me. He doesn’t have to say anything, I don’t even have to see his face to know who was coming towards me and the mass of people pinning me to the ground. “Jacob Buschell, are you ready to live forever?” His voice is gravel; it sends chills down my spine. The irony is clear to me now…

“Say we'll be together forever.” Mary says, burying his face in my chest as she cuddles into my side.

I smile, rubbing her back. “We will. Forever.” I tell her with a whisper.