Chapter Two

I dodged and weaved through the entire airport. I almost knocked over a sweet old couple just walking to slow in front of me. Suddenly my phone rang. Fernando! When was he ever going to leave me alone?

I growled and continued sprinting to my gate. You would think that I’d be smart enough to take a passenger cart to the monorail to the other side of the airport, but not me, no I am Olympic sprinter in my mind just positive I could catch the train ride to the other side. Guess what? I didn’t.

I cursed under my breath as I just missed the doors as they closed on smiling faces of its passengers. I grabbed my forehead, it was going to be another seven minutes to then next train! I didn’t have that kind of time!

I resolved myself to just missing my flight and having to take a later one! I couldn’t get out the states fast enough! Conceding defeat, I pulled out my cell phone and saw a message from Fernando.

Bentley Bear….you can’t stay mad at me forever…please let’s just talk. Love, Fernando.

“He’s got to be kidding me!” I said a little too loudly and startled the lady standing next to me. I blushed and smiled at her.

“Sorry…” I apologized. I frowned at my phone and furiously texted.

First of all, I hate that name! Second of all I can stay mad at you forever, and Third, we are through! Quit texting me!

I grumbled again and hit send. He was never going to get the picture. Apparently cheating on me with my best friend wasn’t a good enough reason for me to break up with him! REALLY??

I scrolled through my contacts and decided to send a quick message to my parents letting them know I made it to my first stop okay. As I was putting my phone back in my pocket the next train came up. Thank God! I hiked up my backpack and stepped in.

I sat down and heard my phone ringtone go off, it was Meredith my best friend. I didn’t answer. A text message followed.

Bentley, what is wrong with you? Did I do something? I just talked to your mom, she said you are leaving for Spain? Why aren’t you talking to me?

“Ha!” I screeched at my phone. The lady I had startled earlier was sitting next to me and scowled. She scooted farther away from me, I’m sure she thought I was totally going to go postal. Fernando was the one who told me he slept with Meredith, I didn’t even confront her. I just left. Of course she’s not going to know that I know. Now she’s playing all innoncent!

Again I began to text furiously.

Why don’t you ask Fernando…. I tried to be sarcastic, but I don’t think it conveys very well through text. She texted me back.

What do you mean? Why should I ask him? Did he do something to you?

My eyes were watering. Meredith, my friend since seventh grade betrayed me. I was so hurt and now she was playing stupid! We were supposed to do a semester in Spain together and now it was never going to happen. I texted furiously again.

Oh he did something alright! You!!!!!  I put my phone back in my jacket. I knew that would shut her up, that’s why it surprised me when she responded.

What are you talking about? Bentley call me! I would never hurt you! Why didn’t you tell me about this? Fernando is crazy! I can’t stand that bonehead!  She was arguing her point so well. I responded.

Perfect cover for wanting my then boyfriend! Just leave me alone Meredith. We aren’t friends anymore!

 I put my phone back in my jacket and ignored about three more texts that I’m sure were from her. The train had come to a halt and the doors opened and we all darted out. I had one minute left and I could see the last person in line at my gate.