Popular

Chapter One

She was always the best. Everyone liked her, everyone knew her name. That didn't change when we started a new school in September. I thought that was going to be my chance to shine, but, of  course, she was still the best, I knew I was always going to live in her shadow.

"Miss Speed, Miss Speed! Are you listening?" I shook my head and looked at Mrs Claverim. 

"Sorry, Miss, I wasn't concentrating, what was the question?" I asked, trying to sound clever, but I could hear an eruption of sniggers around me. I could also feel everyone's eyes on me, some were sympathetic, the others were cruel and laughing. 

"Who were the six wives of King Henry VIII?" I thought for a minute and then I managed to croak, 

"Um...first there was Catherine of Aragon, then Anne Boleyn, after that was Jane Seymour, then Anne of Cleves. Fifth was Katherine Howard and the last was Katheryn Parr. I think." Mrs Claverim looked at me, obviously stunned. 

I beamed and looked at the clock, yes, 5 minutes left. How can she even enjoy teaching this? 

"Well, this is your homework for the holidays." She handed out some pieces of paper with some simple addition sums. 

                               *                                                *                                                                 * 

Just as I walked out of the school, Charlie Speed, my twin sister, came up to me. What could she possibly want now? 

"Here you go. I expect to get a B on this so, you know, no pressure!" She giggled, whilst shoving her homework in my face. Who does she think she is? I grabbed the paper, folded it gently, and put it in my bag, trying not to rip it into shreds and eat it right in front of her face. No, I would do her homework, but, trust me, no B was coming her way! She took one look at the smirk on my face, and I knew what she was going to say next. 

"Actually, since you're so clever, how about we raise the bar to A*!" I gulped, pretending to look nervous, and to add to the act, I said, 

"Um...Of course, Charlie, whatever you want." 

She smiled her signature smile and then flicked her hair, her friend copied her, typical. I walked off, ignoring the dark cloud that was following me as I walked out of the school gates. 

"Hey! What was that all about?" Clara looked at me, she was was so pretty, i thought, why isn't she with Charlie and her friends. Or Sophie and her gang?

"Oh, Charlie's driving me insane! She gives me her homework and is saying that she wants it A*! I bet it's because her 'so-called' high school boyfriend got that! I mean, don't get me wrong, I can get A* easily! But for her, never!" We may be twins, but we sure don't act like them, in fact we hate each other! That's not normal for twins, but, trust me, if i could choose Clara or Charlie, Charlie wouldn't even be close.

"Come on, you're so slow, Eliza! We have to meet Dylan and Martha soon. We don't want to be late for the movie!" I groaned and glanced at Clara, who was moving / talking / breathing so quickly, I was in fast motion! 

The reason why I didn't want to go to the cinema was because Charlie and her mates were going. And, to top it all off, Sophie and her gang were going as well! Wow! This was going to be a fun night, not! 

"Please can we sit at the front, I really don't want to get popcorn in my eyes!" I pleaded with her, because everyone knew the seats at the front were the worst. "OK!" She said and rolled her eyes. I laughed, I bet Charlie and Sophie won't even watch the movie, they'll be too busy throwing popcorn at each other! 

We were going to see something called The Devil With No Horns. I didn't want to go that much, but Clara, Dylan, and Martha were going, and they're my best friends! Clara bought some popcorn, extra large. Martha brought popcorn with her from home but also bought a pack of mini Oreos and four chocolate bars. Dylan didn't get anything because she didn't have any money. Her parents were a bit on the poor side, her Dad is in jail because he killed someone in a bar fight. And her mum, well, she's an alcoholic, so she wasted all of her money on booze. Don't get me wrong, they're lovely people, who just made some wrong decisions. So is Dylan, and she says that she's not oing to end up like them. 

We walk into the room where the film is being shown, let the fun begin!