Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A throbbing pain in both my hand and head woke me up the next morning. I squinted at the light streaming into the room through the curtains, and poked my head out of the bed. I noticed everyone else in my dorm – Lucy Weasley (my cousin, Uncle Percy’s daughter), April Longbottom (Neville’s daughter), Sarah Finnigan (one of Dad’s old school friend’s daughter – Seamus Finnigan), and Mackenzie Power (a quiet muggleborn who I had barely said a word to in four years of sharing a dormitory with her) – fast asleep. It was morning and thankfully after having forgotten to put my alarm on, I hadn’t slept right through the first day of classes.

My eyes flew to my palm as I yelped out in pain. It felt like the searing pain in it was growing more and more. I noticed with horror that the oval had darkened slightly, a contrast between the red outline and my pale skin.

Trying to ignore the pain, I got my uniform out from my trunk and tried to smooth it out a bit, but when it refused to do so, I gave up and began to slowly get ready for classes.

At exactly eight in the morning, I met Rose in the common room and we walked to the Great Hall together for breakfast and to receive our timetables.

“Morning, sis!” James greeted, handing over a glass of pumpkin juice. I sipped it, smiling slightly as the cool liquid cooled my head down, taking away a bit of the pain.

Rose scooped some scrambled eggs onto a plate for me and handed it over. I lifted my right hand to receive it, but when I remembered the ‘tattoo’ on my palm, I quickly clutched my glass with that hand, taking the plate with my other.

“Weasley, Rose,” muttered Neville Longbottom, shuffling through a bunch of papers before handing over Rose’s timetable. “Potter, Lily. Have a good day, girls.”

I scanned my timetable quickly before tucking it in my bag and shoveling the rest of my breakfast into my mouth.

“In a rush to get to class?” Albus asked. I nodded. To be honest, I really just wanted to get out of the hall. I felt like the noise was suffocating me.

“See you at lunch,” I said, slinging my bag over my shoulder and hurrying to my first lesson, Charms.

I was the first person there. I opened the door to the classroom, knowing Flitwick would be fine with me entering early to practice. My magic was a bit rusty from having not used it in a while, but I got back in the swing of things easily. For witches and wizards, magic came smoothly and naturally.

I had objects flying around my head when Flitwick arrived. He smiled and clapped his hands.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a jolt of something inside me made me lose focus. I fell to the ground, trying to squeeze the horrible feelings out of my head, but they just grew stronger.

I could think of nothing but evil and death. It was overpowering all my other senses and I could do nothing about it. I could hear screams of the innocent and cold laughter. It was the sound of pure evil - I knew that for sure.

“Miss Potter?” I heard Flitwick’s small voice coming from beside me. He was leaning down so that he was eyelevel with me. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” I responded breathlessly. I tried to make my voice lighter to convince him of what I was saying, but it sounded as heavy as my body felt. Weighed down by the thoughts swirling around my head like an unstoppable river.

Flitwick nodded warily and allowed the rest of the class inside. He kept a trained eye on me at all times, making sure I really was fine like I said I was.

I wasn’t fine at all. I felt shaken and terrified. I had no idea what was wrong with me, but I noted that the thoughts brought on a more vicious sting in the ‘tattoo’. Could they be related? I had no idea and no way to find out.

Class seemed to tick by extremely slowly. Usually Charms was my favourite class and I was always incredibly disappointed when the bell rang, ending the lesson. But today when the bell went, it took all my effort not to run out right away.

“How was class today, Lils?” James asked, sitting down beside me in the hall and resting his head on the table.

“Good,” I answered in a monotone. Why couldn’t I get my voice to sound more cheery? It seemed physically impossible, like all happiness I had was trapped in a small section of my body, leaving the rest of me like I was walking dead.

“You okay?” Albus asked worriedly.

“I’m fine!” I burst angrily, emotions finally flowing out of me. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the type of emotion I was hoping to show. “Why is everyone fussing so much?” Those words came out of nowhere. I didn’t even register thinking about them and I knew if I did, I never would have said them. It was like someone else – someone more malicious – had taken over my body.

“Jeez, Lils, I was just asking,” Albus said, placing a hand on my shoulder to calm me. I angrily shook it off.

“Leave me alone,” I spat, turning to talk to Rose who had a look of utter disbelief plastered on her face.

“Don’t get mad,” I heard James whisper to Albus. Did they really think I couldn’t hear them? “She’s not... herself. I don’t know what’s wrong with her, she’s ben acting strangely all day.”

Albus’s breathing sped up, indicating stress. “We should take her to the hospital wing, then! Or better yet, tell Mum and Dad.”

“No,” James snapped. “Imagine if it got out, everyone would treat Lily like… like she’s gone mad!”

“Do you care about her at all? I want her to get better, but all you seem to want is to keep your reputation that would be damaged by having a ‘mad sister’.”

“I’m not mad,” I tried to say, but James interrupted, his voice rising.

“You don’t know anything, you good for nothing, ungrateful, brat!” James pulled out his wand, pointing it at Albus who already had his out.

“Stop, stop!” I cried, knowing it would turn into something bigger than necessary if they were given the chance.

“Be quiet, Lily,” Albus said through bared teeth, still staring at James.

“You’re too young, you don’t understand,” James added.

I had my wand out now and I could literally feel sparks bouncing off me and out of my wand. The jug of hot chocolate near my brothers cracked, spraying the warm liquid everywhere. Food on their plates seemed to explode, showering them in small particles of food. I had done accidental magic for the first time since I could remember.

I hated being called young and that I couldn’t understand because of my age, but never had something like this happened.

What was happening to me?

I hate this chapter. Like completely hate it. I know it's probably very confusing, but I couldn't get across what was going on in my head. Anyway, hope you enjoyed!

On the side is a clip of me singing (GypsyFair made me record it). It's really bad, I know! But anyway :)

Oh and go check out GypsyFair's story, Lily Luna and the Road to Death, it's incredible! If you don't check it out, I'll track you down and force you to read it ;)

Thanks for reading, please comment and all that stuff! x