Chapter One: The Hot Troublemaker

After Prom

--Elena Emeralds--

Chapter One

''Sam! Wake up now, Sam! '' I heard my mom yelling outside my room as her knockings become louder and louder everytime her fist landed on the wooden mahogany door.

I groaned inevitably as I tried to bury my face in my Hello Kitty pillow pressing my hands on my ears. I was really tired and still sleepy. I was up until 2:30AM. I finished my project in Physics and my portfolio and compilation in English Literature. The deadline was until next week but I’m Samantha Nicole Henderson, am I? I was aiming for valedictorian and everyone knew I worked hard throughout the year to get this spot.

I’m not from a wealthy family. I’m not some spoiled brat who do what they want to do and get away without facing terrible consequences. I came from an average family here in Brooklyn, New York. My mom, Ma. Lourdes Schmidt, was an English teacher before she married my dad, Rodel John Henderson. My dad’s owns a restaurant-Henderson’s Delicacies-and it’s quite of a business I must say. Money wasn’t a problem for us although we did face a lot of financial dilemmas but our family had a strong bond and money won’t break us apart. I’m sure of that.

I was planning on going to Yale University in Connecticut right after I graduated. I’m taking up a law course. I’m planning to be a civil lawyer. I’ve always wanted to be one. Mom and dad would support me no matter what course I’ll take so I took an entrance test there a week ago. I’ve got a letter from the university last night and they’re willing to accept me there. I was so happy. I’d never been happier in my whole life and I knew everything will be just fine. Just three months from now. Three more months and it’s goodbye highschool, hello Yale!

I was snapped back to reality. My mom was still yelling and knocking on my door. ''Sam! You have to get up now! It’s almost 8 now,dear. '' She yelled again.

I quickly jerked my head up from my pillow realizing what time it is. I took a quick glance on the wall clock hanging just above my Adele poster. Shit! It’s 7:55! I’m going to be late damn it! School starts at 8AM and I can’t believe I’m going to school late for the first time. Without hesistation, I pushed myself up from my bed and got on my feet.

''I’m up now, mom! I’ll be down there in 5! '' I yelled back to my mom assuring her I was up now. Mom didn’t respond, instead, I heard footsteps telling me she’s going downstairs now.

I rushed towards my bathroom and took a hurried shower. After I dried myself, I wore a brown hoodie topping my printed yellow round-neck shirt, denim jeans and a pair of white sneakers. I brushed my long straight black hair as I pulled it into a pony tail. Grabbing my baby blue back pack, I dashed downstairs. I saw mom preparing breakfast.

''Mom, I got to now, I’ll just grab a couple of toasts to munch on my way, okay? '' I said grabbing two butter toasts on the plate ignoring the awfully delicious-smelling cheese omelet she made me. My stomach growled softly. I really hoped mom didn’t hear that, I knew she’d force me to eat my breakfast of she did.

Mom gave me out a warm smile. ''You look beautiful, Samantha, '' Mom said out of the blue completely ignoring what I just said. ''I’m really starting to wonder why you never had a boyfriend. You’re prettier than most girls in school, honey. ''

My cheeks reddened. ''And you’re my mom, '' I replied flatly giving her an unimpressed look. ''You have to say those things to me, to boost my self-esteem or something like that. ''-She winced a little-''But seriously, mom, the last thing I’ll need right now is have a boyfriend. I’ll be graduating three months from now, and I really don’t need any sort of distraction. I’m aiming for valedictorian, ‘member? ''