Chapter 11

Chapter 11

“You ain’t never seen an old dog run that fast in your life once that bull came after him.“

Colt smiled as Jessie laughed heartily at one of Doc’s stories about his days riding herd on cattle drives. She was easily amused by the tales that Colt had memorized years ago, but her laughter made them interesting to hear for the fiftieth time.

They sat after supper at the tiny restaurant on the edge of town that gave a good view of the vast miles of nothing from the widows. The scenery might not be exceptional, but Lilly was the best cook in town.

The door opened and Colt’s eyes glanced at the entrance as he took a sip of his coffee. He hid behind the brim of his coffee cup at the sight of the person in the doorway. If he took long enough of a drink, he might escape the wrath of…

“Colton Kidd?” The voice was right beside him.

Stifling a groan, Colt lowered his cup and forced a smile on his face. “Hey, Miss Minnie.”

“Don’t you ‘Hey Miss Minnie” me. You know good and well why I have a grievance against you.” Minnie Graceland sat in the chair across from him and pinned him with a glare.

Colt nodded. He did know why Minnie was mad at him, he just didn’t want to talk about the reason at the moment.

“I only get to see Bliss once every few months. I didn’t even get to talk to her when she came back from her honeymoon. So do you mind explaining to me why she didn’t come with you and this woman did?” Minnie sent a glance at Jessie, who looked at Colt with an expression of pure confusion.

Doc leaned over and whispered something in her ear. Jessie nodded went about drinking her glass of water.

“She wanted to be with Clint I’m sure. You can’t expect a newly wedded woman to want to traipse off and leave her husband for a week, even for such pleasant company,” Colt answered.

“Clint could have come with you,” Minnie offered.

“If you must know,” Colt leaned forward on his elbows. “We came to do some secret shopping.”

Minnie narrowed her eyes. “For what?”
“Sherman’s building her a house. Well, a few of the cowboys and I are… it was his idea,” Colt explained.

Minnie nodded, and then her gaze slid back to Jessie. “Then who’s she?”

Jessie looked at her. “I’m her sister.”

Colt narrowed his eyes. Her what?

Minnie gaped at Jessie. “Are you serious?”

“No,” Jessie didn’t even crack a smile.

Minnie’s eyebrows pulled together and turned to Colt.

“Who is she?” she mouthed at him.

Colt didn’t answer her question. He only grinned - much like a child with a secret.

Minnie shook her head and stood. “Make sure you don’t forget her again. I desperately need to speak with her.”

Colt nodded. “I’ll see what I can do.”

“In the meantime, give her this,” Minnie held out a letter to him. “Make sure she receives it?”

“Sure,” Colt accepted the letter and put it in his shirt pocket.

“Thank you.” With that, Minnie turned and left the restaurant, her brown shoulder-length curls bouncing as she walked.

Colt shook his head. He couldn’t see how Bliss and that woman could be friends. They were exactly alike in so many ways and it was a wonder that they hadn’t killed each other yet. He looked at Jessie.