Chapter 16

Beca wasn't sure how she got where she was, but she had. And in all honesty, she had absolutely no idea where she was. Her cold bare feet trod carefully amongst the leaves as she looked at the trees that surrounded her. Something about this place was so familiar. She felt safe here, despite not knowing anything about herself and the people around her. But here, she felt the closest that she ever had to her old self. It was a strange feeling, not knowing who you were, but she had quickly become accustomed to it. However, in these woods, she felt as if she could almost grab back her memories. They whispered through her mind like smoke. They were present but impossible for her to get a proper hold of.

Her feet had taken her here. She didn't even remember how she had gotten here. She remembered how easy it had been for her to slip out of the hospital in the dead of night. Her plan had worked without fault. Nobody had caught her. The only problem was that the bag that had held some clothes of hers didn't have shoes. So she made without them.

Something, though, that she hadn't thought about in advance was the pain. Her chest burned with every breath. She vaguely remembered hearing the words "shattered ribcage" and "punctured lung" in the hospital when she was sedated, but she had never thought more about those words until now. The rush of adrenaline from escaping from the hospital had worn off, leaving her tired and in great amounts of pain. There was a part of her that yearned for her comfortable hospital bed, but there was a larger part of her mind that screamed in elation at her liberation. Everyone had made her feel weak. Made her feel like she would never do anything again. But she had proved them wrong. She had begun the journey of remembering.

Beca walked quietly amongst the soft, damp leaves that littered the ground. There was a primal part of her that enjoyed the feeling of nature between her toes. She figured that some of that must have been from the sanitised hospital confinement. Her feet carried her through the trees. She listened to the sound of the wind brushing through the trees, marvelling in how well it went with the damp crunch of the leaved beneath her feet and the occasional rustle of an animal rushing through the foliage. All the sounds made sense to her. It was like a musical composition. She could hear the sounds that fit each other so well. Her feet made the steady beat, followed constantly by the light rushing of wind and when she ran her hand through the branches of the trees to the right side of her, she was reminded of a string quartet within an orchestra.

She saw a fallen tree up ahead and gratefully made her way over to it. The pain was getting quite bad now. Her leg, although not broken, ached and she found it increasingly difficult to put pressure on it. Her left arm was placed in a sling that she had from the hospital and would burn in bouts, every time leaving her with her teeth clenched and eyes tightly shut. Her head had begun to hurt too. At first it was a dull throb that echoed throughout her mind, but it had escalated quickly into a painful banging behind her eyes.

And yet, she regretted nothing. She had made her way to a place of beauty and she could feel her memories, but couldn't quite get them. Not yet. She was determined to stay in this place until she remembered something. Anything.

Funnily enough, Beca found sitting more painful. She was sure the old hard tree was not helping so she stood and continued walking. She saw a road t up ahead and turned again into the woods, hoping to get lost amongst the trees.

She stopped. There was something familiar about these though. She felt like she had been here before. She cried out in frustration as the memory evaded her. Again and again she grabbed at it, but nothing came to her. She sighed, defeated, and continued forwards. She looked around and an image flashed in her mind, clear as what she was seeing before her.

She had seen blue eyes and a flash of red hair.

So it didn't exactly go as I had planned it to but yeah, that's life. Don't forget to review and let me think what you think of it. Thanks.