Charming Criminal [6]

again, unedited. it's like midnight and idek what words are anymore. sorrynotsorry. goodnight.

[ » ]

"Light, you're pathetic."

You gritted your teeth and fixed him with a smouldering glare that soured the grin right off his face. "Stop being so childish, Yagami. You're embarrassing yourself."

The brunette clutched his chest with his free hand, feigning hurt, whilst the other continued to suspend your bag over your head. "I am deeply offended."

You growled under your breath, tapping your foot. "I don't care. Just give me my damn bag back."

Light snickered as you reached up on your tiptoes, barely brushing the material of the bag before he duly moved it out of arm's reach. "I told you, I'll give it back if you go on a date with me."

"You're a manipulative little jerk, y'know that," You spat before digging the heel of your shoe into his foot. He cried out, the bag almost slipping from his fingers, but he managed to swing it back into the air before you had chance to lunge.

"It's going to take more than that," he teased, hoisting himself onto the desk.

"I can wait you out. I'm sure your arm will be getting tired."

Light smirked, swapping the bag to his left hand. "Oh, I can wait here all day if I need to."

You raked a hand through your hair, nostrils flaring. You had a class in a few minutes, and the teacher wasn't so lenient with latecomers. "You know what, fine. I'll go on a stupid little date with you. It's not like it's going to lead to anything."

His lips quirked into a grin. "I knew you'd come around eventually. I'll pick you up two o'clock, Saturday, okay?" He said coolly, handing back your bag with a wink.

You snatched it back with a scowl. "Whatever."

[ » ]

Light had turned up at your house smack on two o'clock, dressed in a casual grey jumper and black slacks. Your original plan had been to close all the curtains in the house and pretend nobody was home, but once your mum got word of your date, she hadn't given you much choice.

With a mysterious smile, he'd escorted you to the bus stop without revealing your exact destination and ushered you to the very back of the bus, giving you the window seat. Ryuk bounced along behind you, floating idly down the aisle.

You sniffed humourlessly as he started walking on the ceiling, pulling faces at the people sitting below. "Is he always this entertaining?" You mumbled to Light, who'd seemed distracted the whole time.

"Huh? Oh, yeah."

You frowned across at him, noting the creases by his eyes and his lip caught between his teeth. He definitely seemed on edge.

And as the bus rolled to a stop outside the next station, you felt him tense up beside you, his jaw jutting forward.

You lifted your eyes to the front of the bus, where a man was ascending the steps slowly. His hair was slicked back with grease, a fuzzy moustache sitting atop his upper lip and eyes red and bloodshot. Something about the guy wrenched at your gut, making you feel slightly nauseous. It was like a premonition, a tugging at your gut that something about to-

"This bus has just been hijacked, ladies and gentlemen!"

Your breath caught in your throat, stumbling over a cry as sudden panic kicked in. Light's brows twitched as he eyed the man closely.