Part 7

When I woke up Matoba san wasn't there, that was good, I needed to search for my bag because the book of friends was in there and I couldn't allow that to get into the hands of the Matoba clan.

I crawled along the floor to a chest of draws and one by one I went through the draws, but all I found in there was many of the same black kimono's that were worn by all members of the Matoba clan.
I closed the final drawer, and sighed, this was Matoba's room so it must be somewhere in here right? But there was only these draws and the futon in here along with a few book shelves bad boxes, it might be in one of the boxes. I moved over to the boxes but as I was reaching for them the sliding open and one of the black wearing followers was sitting outside the door.

"Natsume san, Matoba sama has instructed me to take you to him." He said respectfully.

"Oh, okay." I said, hoping he hadn't seen me. I pulled the belt on my kimono tighter and followed the man out the room. We walked through several long corridors and a few corners when we came to stand in front of some grand doors.

"Matoba sama." the man said simply and the door slid open. Matoba was sat formally in front of a crowd of other formal looking people.

"Natsume kun, come here." ordered Matoba sternly. I gave him a suspicious look as I sat next to him.

"So this is the boy." I heard one of them say. I looked to Matoba, confused.

"this is Natsume Takahashi." he began. "He will be joining us as a new member of the Matoba clan dew to his exceptional... sensitivity.... to youkai and their activities which would benefit us greatly." He smiled.

"What!" i shouted, standing up in alarm. "I never agreed to any of this, i told you i don't want anything to do with exorcists!"

"Takashi Kun." Matoba said, turning to look up at me with his fox like smile, "Sit down." He ordered, his smile never leaving his face, but as always, his eyes showed what his face did not, the promise of a later punishment, but i couldn't let him do this, i had just found a family and friends that accepted me, both youkai and human, friends that i could trust, i couldn't let him take that from me.

"Matoba San, i will not join your clan." I stated clearly. The men present in the room began to murmur among themselves. Matoba's smile fell, replaced with a blank expression, he stood up slowly and bowed politely to those in the room, then he turned to me, he pulled me harshly out of the room and back down the hall and into his room. he threw me down onto the floor again but this time there was nothing that indicated what was going to happen to me, he didn't move or say anything, i didn't want to say anything to provoke him so i sat still and remained still. Matoba took a step towards me, then suddenly there was a loud noise and someone called Matoaba urgently telling him that there was a youkai creating a problem for them outside.

He looked between me and the man, then without a word, turned and left with the man, i breathed a sigh of relief and laid back. I thought for sure he was going to use this stupid tattoo again.

suddenly there was a loud crash, i covered my head and curled up slightly to cover myself from the flying splinters as something very big and white burst through the wall. "Natsume!" Called the familiar bellow of Nyanko sensei's voice.

"Nyanko sensei!" i shouted in happiness, standing and running over to him. He looked me over and then huffed, satisfied that i was mostly unharmed and then turned his side to me, "Let's go." He grumbled.

"I can't." i said.

"Why?" He growled impatiently.

"because of this." i said, undoing the kimono and showing him the pattern that was engraved onto my body.

"Sneaky bastard." Nyanko sensei muttered before the bright symbol appeared on his forehead and i had to look away for a moment, when i looked back the markings where gone. I was completely baffled.

"Wah, How!" i asked confuse.

"No time, Let's go." He barked.

"but the book of friends!" i said.

"I have it!" he said and a second later, Matoba burst in with other exorcists, our eyes met for a brief moment before i jumped onto Nyanko sensei's back and he jumped out into the sky before Matoba could reach us with any of his charms or curses.
I looked back as we flew out of his reach, away from him, his expression wasn't what i thought it would be, he looked satisfied or something close to it, but not frustrated or angry like i thought it would be. That was what i noticed before we flew out of sight.

"how did you know where i was?" i asked Nyanko sensei as we flew.

"I asked around the youkai in the area, one of them had seen you being chased then taken by the Matoba's." He explained.

"The book of friends?" I questioned nervously.

"i came across your bag on the first day you disappeared when i heard some low class youkai talking about the book of friends."

"Why didn't you take it?" I asked.

"We have a promise in place, i wouldn't break the promise that we made so easily, don't think so lowly of me, idiot." He grumbled.

"Sorry." i laughed, relived that the book of friends was okay. with those feelings of relief and the comfortable feeling of Nyanko sensei's fur, i fell into a happy sleep that was not disturbed until we reached the familiar house that I was living in.

I smiled happily as i stepped through the window into the familiar room. it warmed me as the same old pudgy cat followed me through the window and went straight to the tall bottle of sake in the corner. i laughed gently as i watched him before flopping down on my bed and staring at the familiar ceiling. i smiled lightly again as the exhaustion of the past days caught up to me now i relaxed fully and i fell to sleep, comfortably.