A trip to NSY

The boys had been summoned to Scotland Yard after mysterious bombings all over the UK the last couple in London. A letter had being sent to Sherlock and they believed it was somehow linked.

Dear Mr Holmes

I am inviting you to play a game, a great game, the best game you've ever played.

You remember Karl Powers? Of course you do! You remember everything. Well I knew him too. Shame he had to go but it was easy. You need to tell me how they did it, then come and find me ... I'll be waiting.

Your Equal

Mr Moriarty.

“Do you know who it’s from?” Asked Lestrade.

“I know the name not the man” Sherlock said neither sounding excited nor disappointed.

“Any information?” Lestrade pushed.

“No, just that the letter was typed on mass produced card and was typed using Glidden typewriter from 1873, can tell by the smell and slight grey twinge to the ink. Did you know it was the first typewriter to have the modern day QWERTY keyboard?”

Both John and Greg remained silent looking at Sherlock.

"Of course you didn’t … and you don’t care either. Well … I have to go home, I have to think" Sherlock stated as he rushed to find a taxi John in tow.

"I need to be alone John, Sorry" he said closing the taxi door leaving John on the pavement. Sherlock flounced out of the taxi and leapt into Baker Street he ran up the stairs, only to see his little sister sprawled out on the sofa. With pills, powder, spoons and syringes spread over the coffee table.

"Sherlock" she said not opening her eyes.

"Mariella"

"I hate that name" she sat up and moved to one side.

"Like Sherlock is much better" he said sitting next to her.

"What where our parents thinking" she smirked.

"You look more pale then usual"

"Thank you" she smiled

"You look high"

"I am that's why, c'mon Sherlock. You must miss it. I didn't realise until I did it again"

"It wasn't your choice to start again was it ... Strange. Someone DID know your past hmm..." Sherlock pondered. He tried to read her but he couldn't he just came up blank.

"Stop talking and thinking Sherlock. Just take it"

Sherlock contemplated it, he used to be addicted before he knew that he was, but since then he'd done it on the odd occasion and never become addicted again. He pulled out a lighter and began to melt the powder on the spoon as Ella grinned at him.

John had finished his second cup of coffee now, he thought it would be acceptable to make his way back to the flat.

He climbed up the stairs and opened the door.

"Sherlock! Sherlock!" He called running to the man laid face down on the sofa. He turned him over and placed his finger on his neck there was a pulse, just weak. He looked around the room to the used syringes and Ella lay out on the floor with a Jaffa cake in her hand.

"Don't shout so loud John" Ella croaked from the floor.

"What's happened?" John commanded.

"I made a mistake John, a big mistake"

"Drugs?!"

"I'm sorry John" he picked her up her feet and legs weak. She leaned up against John chair as John grabbed a blanket to cover Sherlock who quickly snuggled up into it.

"Sorry John" she smiled as she shoved the now melted Jaffa cake in her mouth. Leaving without as much as a glance back.

When Sherlock woke they didn't discuss what had happened. They just pretend he'd woken up from any other ordinary nap. He had spent a couple of days trying to figure out what had killed Karl Powers. He'd being stumped until his trainers had conveniently appeared in a box on the door step of Baker Street accompanied only by another typed note that simply said

I'm such a fan of your blog, Moriarty.

Sherlock began to analyse the laces under the microscope. John stood by his side.

"We can't ignore it anymore Sherlock?"

"Ignore what?" He drawled.

"The drugs Sherlock. Was that a one off? I was so worried when I came back and you where face down. I thought the worst" Sherlock frowned hating his actions been questioned.

"Maybe I was wrong about your sister, she is bad news! She made you take those drugs"

"Don't talk about her like that" he said standing up.

"You could have died!"

"So what?!"

John scoffed "It's a life Sherlock don't waste it. I've seen good men die at war for no good reason. I don't want you to die"

"They choose to go to war John!" He snapped.

"I can't believe you!" John huffed as he grabbed his coat and headed out of the flat Sherlock just sat back down and got back to his experiment.