Prologue

They were after her. She knew it- she had heard their horns and their battle cries and she had heard them shout for the blood of her unborn child. They stormed her house and destroyed everything she owned, but they would never find her child; they would never get the chance to lay a finger on her miracle. But then, the child had come.

She gave a quick glance back at her once beloved home, devastated. Ill-timed and unstoppable the baby kicked and demanded to be let out into the world. She yelled. Young and in pain, the soon-to-be mother had screamed, so they had come with their torches and pitchforks. They had come to take away her child, the illegitimate child of a soon-to-be king.

They had wanted her gone- they were going to rip her child out of her and murder her.

She had ran, harder and faster than ever. She leaned against a tree for support as she ran from her enemies. Frightened and breathless, she heard them behind her, screaming with their pitchforks and torches. Their goal: her death.

She ran without looking but soon found herself in a strange place, an alien world. She found herself at world's end and at time’s end too. Soon, she had no choice but to stop, to push and to give birth to her child in a dirt-filled wood. Alone, afraid, and in the middle of nowhere, she gave birth to her child.

The child was born on the day the earth almost ended. The day it rained fire, the day planet Earth was battered by wave after wave of storms, earthquakes and lightening. She was born under the bleeding night sky. Nothing more than a teenager who had loved the wrong man, the mother had covered her daughter in the only thing she owned, a thin scarf and a school jumper she had found at a bus stop.

 She had run under the burning light and dropped her child on the door step of a church. Levanna Lilith Lucien, yes quite a fitting name for a child born under the red moon- the burning star, quite a name that would lend itself to her story; a cosmic joke of the fates. A name that collectively means “moon light of the night”.

The mother panted, holding her now empty stomach. Tears ran down her face and on to the child. She clutched her new-born, her baby, and she knew even as her heart shattered into millions of pieces, she had to give her up. She had to leave her with these people, leaving her only child in the hand of unknown humans.

She sobbed harder and her tears shook the thin scarf that had her precious baby. She scribbled a quick note to beg them to look after her only child and she left her on the doorstep of Faith House with nothing more than a name and prayer that one day her baby would find her way back home where she belonged.

Then, it rained.