Chapter Three

Chapter Three:

---

                I tossed my backpack on my bed, and fell dramatically to the floor. Today had been amazing. Even though tomorrow I would have to go back to school again, I was pretty excited. Aiden, Aiden, Aiden... I thought, tossing a pillow in the air and catching it again. I sighed, contentedly and dropped hugged my pillow close. A few minutes later, I drifted into a quiet sleep.

                Hours later, I heard a loud screeching outside my home. I ran out the front door just in time to see a little red car stop, tires leaving skid marks on my driveway. I knew that car anywhere, and the laughter I heard along with it was unmistakable.

                “Caitlin! You crazy girl, you woke me up!” I screamed at her, jumping at her hug as she ran up. Her name was Caitlin Markes, and she was my other best friend. Not quite as close as Allison, but still. I laughed out loud every time I heard her stories.

                “I did! I know! ‘Cause you’re in pajamas!” She pointed to my tummy and I laughed, seeing that she was right. Great. Stupid random wakeup calls!

                “Why are you here?” I asked, my expression reflecting confusion. I didn’t invite her over today, and there wasn’t anything I could think of as to why...

                “We have school... I’m your ride, silly!” Caitlin looked at me and laughed, smiling her pretty smile. I laughed along with her, realizing that I really did have school again today.

                While I was lost in thought, Caitlin picked me up and tossed me over her shoulder. Assessing my situation, I started to pound weakly on her back. “Put me down! Why did you pick me up?! Caitlinnnnnn!” I yelled, laughing as she carried me to my room and threw me onto my bedspread.

                “Getting dressed, or going to school like that?” She tossed clothes at me, and I pulled them on. I didn’t care much how I looked today, so long as everything seemed fine.

                Taking special care to wrap up my arm again, I threw my jacket on as Caitlin yanked our backpacks off of the floor.

                “Come on! I only have so much time to waste at school before homeroom, slowpoke! We need to get there as fast as possible so I can flirt with cute boys.” Caitlin said, tossing my backpack at me and running for my front door again.

                Caitlin was a huge flirt. She loved boys, girls, her friends... Yeah. She was a flirt, but I loved her like my own self. More than my own self, really.

                “Ugh. You and your habits. Silly, silly Caitlin.” I laughed, following her as quickly as I could. Dropping into the passenger seat of her car, I kicked up my heel s and finally assessed what was going on.

                “They’re not silly! I need a prom date. You realize that there’s only two months until prom, right? Two months! That’s not nearly enough time for me to find a dress and a tux and...” She trailed off in the middle of her sentence as she pulled speedily out of my drive and toward our school.

                “You’ll be fine! Trust me, Cait. You, of all people, will have a date. Haven’t you already been asked like, six times this year?” I yanked my hair back into a ponytail as I spoke.

                “Yeah. By two seniors, a junior, and a freshman. Ew. Nobody I want to go with. I mean, really! I have higher standards than that.”