Prologue

Ever since President Dawson came into power, life has been harder than usual in some districts, which means many of us try to switch to better ones.

There, of course, is no District 13, District 12 is almost gone as well as district 11.

My family lived in District 12 before it became to run down. Then we moved to District 11. That also became to ran down to stay. My mom and dad attempted to move again, but they were killed by peacekeepers.

It was just me and my sister.

One day my mom's friend Persia Green from District 10 came to visit us.

Persia won the 94th Hunger Games at the age of thirteen.

Anyways, she smuggled us into District 9, along with herself. District 10 was having a hard time with living conditions.

I believe she wouldn't have been killed even if she were caught. I mean, the winning tributes are more precious than ever to the Capital and the districts.

Mainly because in the 75th Annual Hunger Games no one survived,

Peeta Melark, and Katniss Everdeen, the star crossed lovers of District 12, ended their lives together.

In result, President Snow was embarrassed. His embarrassment led to humiliation, which ended up with him hanging himself. His nephew was put in charge.

That was twenty-four years ago. Now, at the age of forty, President Dawson is still president, and in his twenty-four functional and operational years only ten tributes have won the still-continuing Hunger Games.

(I mean, I have only been alive for sixteen years, so obviously I was told this story the few times I've actually been in school.)

Today is the reaping for the 99th Annual Hunger Games; instead of tons of people wondering who are; the unlucky tributes, they; are wondering if there will even be a winner this year.