Chapter 5: The Flea and the Acrobat

El was sprawled along the couch as I stroked her fake hair softly. My energy levels were normal but El needed a little more time to rest and re-energise herself. The boys sat around us with their head heads in their hands.

Over and over they would repeat Will's words trying to see if they knew a place like home that was cold empty and dark. But I knew they would never find one. You need a clear passage or a door to get  yourself there. It's not a matter of wishing for one.

They kept complicating things and adding words that he never said then questioned if he had said them or not. At this point I had enough.

"He's in the upside down" I said as they all immediately turned to me. I nodded at  them and went back to playing with Elevens fake hair. 

"What the hell did she just say?" Lucas said crunching his face together in confusion.

"Upside down" Mike said pacing the room back and forth. I don't want any of them going there. It's bad enough Will is already there.

"When Fifi showed us where Will was she flipped the board remember?" Mike said, flipping the playing board over and over again. "Upside down. Dark, empty"

"Do you understand what he's talking about?" Lucas said talking to Dustin directly. Dustin replied with a simple no.

"Come on guys just think about it. When El and Fifi took us to find Will, they took us to Will's house right?" Mike said.

"Yeah and he wasn't there" Lucas said with a 'duh' tone.

"Yeah but what if he was there. What if we just couldn't see him. What if he was on the other side" I was impressed with Mike. He wrapped his head around that easily where as it took me months to even understand what the upside down was.

"What if this was Hawkins" Mike said showing the board and the playing side then flipping it back over. "And this is where Will is. The Upside Down."

"Like the vale of shadows" Dustin said sighing in a chuckle and looking to me with an surprised look. I just smiled. I knew they were science nerds. They'd know all about it.

"Fifi, do you no anymore of this upside down?" Mike asked as he sat down next to me and put Elevens legs across his. Lucas and Dustin sat in front of me.

"Papa made me and El go there a lot. Every day. Shouted at us if we said no. It's scary Mike. Really scary" I used as many words as I know to some up my understanding of it. It was a parallel universe of our own.

"Cold and dirty. Scary monster lived there. It doesn't like me and Fifi. I always scares us away" El said joining in. As long as the boys knew about the Upside Down and the 'Demogorgan'. We might stand a chance of finding Will.

--------------------------

"The Vale of Shadows is a dark reflection or and echo of our world" Dustin said reading from the book Mike had on his shelf. El was fully alert by now but we kept to the corner of the room.

"It is a place of decaying and death. A plain out of face full of monsters. It is right next to you and you don't even see it" Dustin breathed out as the boys exchanged a worried glance.

"You were there before Fifi?" Dustin asked me. I nodded my head and tried to keep the memories of it out.

"I'm sorry you had to see it" Dustin said and turned back to the book. You can't un-see what you have seen. But you can push the memory of it away.

"An alternate dimension" Mike breathed out as they flicker their eyes back and forth between one another.

"But how do we get there?" Lucas asked. My head snapped up at them. No way. No way am I letting them near that fore-saken place full of fear and death. Especially Dustin. I wouldn't allow it.