huit. pain aux raisins secs

huit.

|| pain aux raisins secs ||

Holiday break went by in a whirl for Evelyn, who managed to shield her family's queries about her relationship status by claiming she was too busy to get into stuff like that [an abject lie, as she was smart and first year courses are hardly a challenge]. Every day she worried about Honoré, alone in Montreal. He'd said that such a thing was preferable to visiting his family, whom he had virtually cut off at this point, but she struggled to accept that.

So that is why, on 26 Décembre, she was on a train back to the city. Her mother, ever the guardian, seemed suspicious that her daughter was so eager to go back to school two weeks ahead of spring term, but she'd lied and said that Estelle was in town to keep her company. Armed with a suitcase full of newly-knitted sweaters courtesy of her great-grandmother and a pound of her mother's fruitcake, she got off the Metro at Berri-UQAM and nearly ran over Honoré, who had been so excited to see her again that he'd nearly broken the train doors.

†††

"How was your holidays, ma cherie?" he questioned. They sat across from each other in a small local coffeeshop, Evelyn loosely gripping a peppermint latte and Honoré's black coffee (less to be pretentious and more because he didn't like sweets) resting on a small porcelain dish in front of him.

"It was fine I guess. I really missed hanging out with Estelle. I swear, my uncles asked if I had a boyfriend about a thousand times." she replied.

"Well then...do you?" He raised an eyebrow, meeting her eyes. Evelyn blushed and looked down into her coffee.

"Umm... I don't know. You're the closest thing to--"

"Would you like to date with me?" Honoré interrupted. She was startled, at first not comprehending what he was asking, though she'd gotten used to his strange English phrasing by now. She sat still for a while, her heart beating faster. She tried to imprint this moment in her memory, Honoré's dark eyes, the way his soft curls fell messily over his forehead, the words of the song playing overhead. This was the first time a romantic relationship was part of her reality, naive as she was through high school, and she didn't know what to say. What if she messed things up? Since she'd never dated anyone, she thought she'd mess this up, not know what was healthy or normal or what the warning signs were. She shifted uncomfortably. Honoré looked equally uncomfortable, as he likely hadn't expected her answer to take so long.

"I...I really, really like you, but I'm scared." she said softly. His expression shifted to one of genuine care and she immediately felt bad for doing this to him.

"You have not a thing to be scared of, Evelyn." The way he pronounced her name was thick on the vowels and she liked it, hoping her pronunciation of his was just as charming.

"I think...I know that. But you know, I've never really...been with anyone before and I don't know...what to do." she explained.

"You want to be...slow?" he asked. She thought for a moment before gently nodding her head in agreement. She took a sip of her latte, which was now the perfect temperature, and hoped he didn't expect her to kiss him since she didn't want her first kiss to be tainted with coffee breath.

"We are not dating, but maybe soon? I have never seen une femme like you are and...I want to become closer very much." He began reaching across the table to take her hand. She met him halfway, his large, warm hand meeting hers.

"J'aimerais ça," she agreed.

†††

"This is truly one of the most gross food I have ever eaten!" Honoré exclaimed, spitting into the sink. Evelyn laughed mischievously, patting him on the back as he coughed.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have fooled you like that. My mother means well, but cooking is not one of her best qualities." she said through giggles. He emerged, shaking his head as if that would get rid of the taste.

"I do not know your mother, but it is remarkable how she can ruin pain. What are these dried fruits?" he said, scowling at her. She laughed harder, trying to make a reply but failing, almost to the point of tears.

"For honesty, it is worth it to see you laughing. You are very...'cute'." he said, a smile in his eyes. He reached his arms around her, holding her closer to his body as she looked up to him, still shaking with laughter. Their eyes met and he began leaning down...

Evelyn was mesmerized, but as his breath hit her face she jerked out of it, turning her head. She didn't know why; this had been such a lovely day and she very much wanted to kiss him, but she was too shy to let it happen yet. There was hurt in Honoré's eyes as he slowly released her.

"Oh. Pardon," he said softly, turning around and resting his hands on the counter. She wrapped her arms around him from behind.

"Pardon." she repeated.