Chapter Five

A/N: This Chapter was updated on 1/17/14

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat on the couch, staring at the TV. I was finally alone. The ride home from the shop had been a silent one, and now the house was just as quiet. Elise and Dad had gone out to meet Liz and her kids for dinner. Elise had tried talking me into going out with them, but Dad convinced her to let me be.

I didn't know what to think of Dad anymore. He was so different. He'd been stand-offish when I was a kid. Honestly, I thought Grandpa was a better father figure than Dad. But the understanding in Dad's eyes tonight as he suggested that maybe I just needed some time to myself-

That had confused me.

I turned off the TV and went to fend for myself in the kitchen. There were a bunch of half-eaten casseroles in the fridge. I grabbed one, not caring which, and pried the lid off before shoving it in the microwave.

I mean, Dad has gone through all this before. He said he remembered being just as confused when they'd told him all of this and Grandpa became a Reaper, or whatever. Was that why Dad never seemed interested in what I did as a kid? Had he been afraid of me finding out the 'Big Secret' before it was time?

The microwave beeped at me, and I yanked the door open. Pulling the dish out, I winced as the glass burned my fingers. I set it on the counter, trying not to drop it.

My cellphone rang as I dug a fork out of the dishwasher. The ring tone loudly declared that my mother was calling with her favorite song; some teen pop hit that was about twenty years too young for her. I held back a sigh. I'd have to tell her I wasn't coming back to Florida sooner or later. I'd even canceled my flight back already.

I answered as the song started over, but I barely got in a "Hi Mom." I sat at the bar, waiting for the mystery casserole to cool and listened as Mom went on and on about her new boyfriend Ted.

"So, we were thinking, tomorrow night after I pick you up, that maybe he could join us for dinner at that Italian place and-"

"Mom, I'm not coming home tomorrow." There. I finally said it. I listened to the silence on the other end for a breath of a moment longer.

"Why? What about about your flight?"

"I canceled my reservation. As for why," I paused, trying to figure out what to say. I didn't want to lie to her. But I wasn't exactly allowed to tell her the truth, was I?

"Your father put you up to this, didn't he?” she spat before I could come up with something. “He just wants you up there to help with Liz's rowdy kids!"

I sighed. "No, Mom, Dad doesn't-" I almost said he didn't have anything to do with it, but that wasn't true at all. "It's about what Grandpa left me. It's some property, so the lawyer said I've got to stick around a little while." Talk about boiling down the truth.

Silence again. "Oh, sweetie." This time when she spoke, her tone was softer. "Well, I guess it can’t be helped, then. When do you think you’ll be home?"

"I don't know, Mom,” I stalled. Was I even allowed to call that home anymore? I held back another sigh. “I'll call you again in a few days, when I know more." Or when I’ve come up with a better lie.

We said goodnight and hung up. She'd been disappointed that I wasn't coming home, like I'd knew she would be. And it'd killed me to all but out right lie to her. How could I tell her that I’d be staying for good? That I’d committed to working at a little hole in the wall antique shop for the rest of my life? 

I finished my dinner and cleaned up my mess in the kitchen. It was still early, but going to bed sounded awesome. I always got the guest room at the end of the hall when I stayed with Dad. Elise had decorated it in a pink rose theme, trying to win favor with a stepdaughter she'd barely known at the time. I told her I loved it, because I hadn't the heart to tell her I didn't like roses when I could see her trying so hard. Of course now, they didn't want to change anything since it had been deemed "Mary's Room."

I changed into my PJs and fell into bed. I pulled out my Key and looked at it again now that I was in the safety of my room. The light from my bedside lamp caught in the topaz stone, reflecting little sparks of light back onto my sheets. 

After a day like today, I thought I'd end up staring at the ceiling half the night, thinking about everything that'd happened to me. But as soon as I closed my eyes, sleep over took me. 

I ran. I hated running. Any sort of exercise- well, it wasn't for me. But this, this I had to see. I turned the corner of the hallway and skidded to a stop before slamming my body into the massive door that stood there. I pounded on it. I had to open it. I tried the handle, and it rattled like old bones.

A key, I need a key. Searching for the keys, I turned out all my pockets. There had to be a key! I found it, strung on a chain around my neck. That was odd, though. I never wore necklaces.

I opened the door, and a whisper of voices reached my ears. Grandpa.

I started running again. Blindly turning corners in this huge mansion. It was dark, the lamps on the walls few and far between, sending flickering shadows that seemed to jump at me as I ran. I came to another door, and had to unlock it as well before moving on. His voice grew louder, and I kept hoping that around the next corner or behind the next door, there he'll be. Laughing and joking.

I stopped, frustrated that yet another door blocked my path. I unlocked it and threw it open, but instead of more hallway, I stepped out on to the shore of the river. I turned, but the door was gone. I stood in a red ball gown, the dress' seam inches from the water.

"Mary," Grandpa called.

He was standing out in the middle of the river. Standing on what? The mist obscured him, then moved again showing his face. He called out to me again. I took a step toward him and another, fully expecting to sink into the water, but instead found a path, a bridge hidden below the surface. I followed it, as it lead me closer to him.

"Grandpa!" I was running again.

The bridge disappeared mid-step and I fell. Dark air rushed past me and I hit the floor with a jolt, my legs tangled in the dress. Mr. Ward stood beside me, looking down with an expression of hatred in his eyes.

“There is no escape. There is no other way," he said in that matter of fact tone that I had heard earlier.

I managed to stand, finding myself in a maze of antiques.

A voice spoke – whispered through, passing me with a breath of air. "Mary..."

I didn't recognize it. The voice said my name again and the sound curled around me like a wisp of smoke. I turned, but found myself alone in the maze. Even Mr. Ward was gone.

"Who's there?!" I gathered the skirt of the dress in my hands, holding it up so I wouldn’t trip over it if I had to run again.

"Mary!"