Chapter Three

Clara's Point of View

I walked into the house, only to bump into my Mother. "Where have you been. You should have been here 15 minutes ago!" she complained while trying dry off her nail polish that was freshly painted on her hands. "What are you doing just standing there! Get in there, your father needs your help." I walked up to the office door, just about to step in when she pulled  me close enough to whisper, "You make a fool out of us like you did last time, and you'll be sleeping in the attic. This time, nobody will be there to help you." she finshed stepping back quickly. I plastered a smile on to my face and knocked on the door.

I opened the door just in time to hear my father finish his sentence. They all have to monitor what they say, they know that I hate the business and anything I find I would use against them. "Clara, there you are! Gentlemen this is my accountant, Clara. She was kind enough to come in today to help with the meeting. Clara you can have a seat next to Matt." my Father finished. I felt my hopes sink down, he didn't even say that I was his daughter. I sat down quickly so that the meeting could finish faster. Matt was a 20 year old blond man with a black Armani suite on.He was the same age as me, but that doesn't mean anything. He could have had plastic surgery and  really be 86. I quickly looked through my bag for my notebook and my pen so I could take notes, in case Father asked for them later. "Now that we have everyone, the meeting can start. The business has taken off and the Boss is happy. That's the main priority, but he wants to make some changes. We have to find a way to get to the younger generation. That's why this meeting was called, the more younger people we can get, the more money we can get. The more money we get, the happier the Boss gets, which means the more money we get in the end." Father said, pacing back and forth in front of his desk, before sitting down and looking at the semi-circle the men had formed with their chairs. "Come on men think! Clara, what do you think we should do?" he said suddenly, pinning his eyes on to me.

I quickly straightened my back, feeling the eyes of the men on my back. "I don't know sir, I barley know what this fine business is about. I'm just here to take care of your money." I said nervously looking down. He may not seem ruthless, but heaven knows how harsh my Father can be. He scoffed, "I barely know why I even keep you around any more Clara. You are worthless and will never amount to anything." I looked down ashamed. Matt spoke up,"Sir, what if we...our business to an area where the younger folk would be there. Like perhaps the collage your daughter studies at. She quite popular there I hear, she could help to publizes our company. Everyone who goes there has the money to spend, so it wouldn't be like the other collages." "That's brilliant Matt. Chalerton, get the word out the factory and tell them where we will be setting up. Great job men! Matt I see great things ahead. Everyone, good work. My wife will show you the way out. Clara, please stay I have some accounts I want to go over with you."  Mother appeared by the door way, ready to show the men the way out. I stared at my hands, not making eye contact to any of the men as they walked out of the room.

"Now Clara, lets get started. Shall we?" my father said as soon the door slammed shut. I nodded and sighed silently. There goes my afternoon.