Chapter 13

Return of the Guardian

Chapter 13

Eragon held his breath when he neared the entrance to the village. There were only a few people ahead of him, each one entering with ease, and he hoped the same would happen for him and Lena. She was sitting on Snowfire, barely conscious, a cough escaping her lips every few seconds. They were almost at the gate when the guard shouted for them to halt. Trying to act calm, Eragon looked at the man clad in armor.

"What's wrong with your friend?" The man pointed at Lena.

"She is tired and is not feeling very well," he admitted. Lying would do no good, but he also did not want to tell the guard how sick she really was. That might cause panic and the guard would never let them into the village.

"What is your business here?" The man crossed his arms.

"We only wish to see your healer."

"How sick is she?"

"Nothing too serious I presume, but I lack the medicine to help her nonetheless."

The guard scrutinized Lena before waving them forward. "Very well, you may enter. Just do not cause any trouble."

"Thank you."

The village was no larger than Carvahall, but it was more crowded. As planned, Eragon and Lena met up with Murtagh. He had entered the village an hour before them and waited by a well.

"Good, you got in; I was beginning to get nervous." Murtagh uncrossed his arms and stood up.

"I was nervous as well. We must lie very low; the guard barely let us pass and I think he may be on to us, well Lena and I specifically." Eragon looked around to become familiar with his surroundings. Saphira was nearby and would swoop in if they were in trouble, but Eragon wanted another escape route just in case.

"Aye, this village is off a major road, so word travels fast. I guarantee there are pictures of us posted on the village's bulletin board."

"I do not want to venture to figure that out. Come, let us find the herbalist."

The shop reminded him of Angela's, at least on the outside as herbs hung from the roof and a musky scent clung to the air. Inside, the shop was virtuously clutter free unlike Angela's where there were random gadgets lying around. The items were organized alphabetically and placed behind a glass counter. At the site, Eragon became amused; she was by far one of the cleanliest people he had ever met and he had a feeling that she would be able to help Lena, even though he had not yet spotted the woman. The entire shop calmed him and he sensed that Murtagh felt the same.

"Hello, is anyone here?" Eragon asked when no one made an appearance after a few minutes.

"Yes, I'm coming." The woman sounded startled and came into view a few moments later. "My apologies, I fell asleep and did not hear you come in. What can I do for you?" She scanned her visitors and suddenly became interested in Lena. "Good heavens! Is she all right?"

"Well, no, that is why we came here."

"Of course; it was silly of me to ask, but I tend to do that a lot. Please bring her back here." The herbalist lifted up a part of the counter and waved her guests through.

When Lena was placed on a bed, the two met sitting on wooden chairs, the herbalist asked, "Do you know what is ailing her?"

Eragon shook his head. "Can you help her?"

"I will do my best. By the way, my name is Greta," the herbalist said as she placed her palm on Lena's forehead.

"I am Derik and the woman you are examining is my wife, Trisha."