Prologue

Fernando, the third Duke of Alba, studied the soldiers assembled before him. As a veteran general, he knew the appearance and the combat capabilities of soldiers were equally important. The former was acceptable while he had no doubt about the latter. These were, after all, the same soldiers he led into Rome in the war against the Pope.

The Duke turned and studied his officers who were puzzled by this sudden gathering. They were mounted and waited for his orders. These were loyal men who wouldn't hesitate to obey his orders. This was the reason why he kept them with him on all his campaigns. He rewarded those loyal to him while punished the traitors.

Recalling the content of the letter from King Philip II, Fernando frowned making those nearby nervous. One of Fernando's flaws was his temper which, while rare, could get out of hand quickly. A number of innocent souls lost their lives as a result. However, the soldiers and the officers would never trade the Duke for any other general for he was indeed the best in all of Europe, if not the entire known world.

The letter spoke of heinous crimes committed by the Protestants in the Netherlands. The Duke never understood how his king tolerated these heretics but he was pleased when Philip II ordered him to maintain order with his army. The letter emphasized that he was free to take whatever measures were necessary to restore order.

"Today, we crush the heretics!" Fernando shouted once he mounted. "We march for Brussels!"