The Trouble with Demons

THE TROUBLE WITH DEMONS

by

Terry Spear

PUBLISHED BY:

Terry Spear on Smashwords

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from the author, except for the inclusion of brief quotations in a review.

Discover more about Terry Spear at:

http://www.terryspear.com/

Smashwords Edition, License Notes

This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you’re reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please return to Smashwords.com and purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.

Dedicated to Tasha, my Afghan hound, that I swear had a bit of demon in her!

Chapter 1

“Why did we have to do it here in this stinking, filthy place?” a woman whispered. “Why not on the outskirts of Baltimore, somewhere in a field or something?”

“For the atmosphere. How can we summon a demon without having the essential mood?” another responded with derision.

Using white chalk, the two women drew a pentagram inside a circle against the black asphalt, over grease spots and globs of old gray chewing gum. In accordance with the summoning ritual, the third woman lighted the remaining fifty candles in the darkened alleyway between two brick buildings. A slight, humid breeze fussed over the flames, threatening to blow them out.

“Smells like rotting garbage. The heat and humidity have made my hair spaz. This long gown is making me sweat, and I’ll have underarm stains for sure. Real ambiance. Let’s hurry and get this done. I’ve got half an hour before I watch The Shining with Dennison,” the first said.

The second snorted. “Kim, after the demon does what we tell it to, maybe you won’t want to go back to mind-numbing Dennison.”

“Having the demon kill Clint at Saveway Grocers is the only reason we’re doing this, agreed? We get a new manager, end of story. Then we send the demon back.”

“Until we need him for another gig, Lillian,” the third one said, raising her brows to emphasize her wish.

Lillian cast them a wicked smile. “Yeah, that two-timing louse, Johnny Cantos, is next on my list.”

Kim didn’t look like she approved, but then changed her mind when the other two seemed adamant. “Sure, whatever.”

They pulled black hoods over their heads, then with their voices raised high, and the candlelight’s flames reflecting in their eyes, the women chanted, “Stirrus, Demononus, Seplichus, Protinalium, Horrita.”