Chapter 9: Sophie

Disclaimer: this chapter is mature in the way that it is complicated and moderately sexual. I was hesitant as to whether I wanted it on Wattpad because I won't tolerate immature or uneducated comments, but I owe it to you guys--an audience who i have so much respect for--to at least try. So, I ask you to refrain from posting offensive or ignorant comments. I will be unpublishing this from Wattpad if this occurs. Also know that you do not have to read this chapter, it will not jeopardise the plot in any way to skip it.

Though the blush of humiliation still lingered on Sophie Rutherford's powdered cheeks, she wouldn't let it phase her

Though the blush of humiliation still lingered on Sophie Rutherford's powdered cheeks, she wouldn't let it phase her. She had just enough time to coat her lips in another layer of baby-pink lip gloss and slip off her clothes, leaving them pooling on the floor of her bedroom, and that was enough for the flutter of excitement to return to her heart.

"Was that Francis Greene I saw leaving your apartment?" His voice rang through the room before his greeting did, Jack's words tainted with a dark curiosity.

"Definitely not. He must have had the wrong building," she said, turning around and letting a wide grin settle onto her face.

He was deathly charming, his lust-inducing features deceptively hidden with what was a cute grin and misleading laugh. He fell to the couch, his long arm stretching over the back of it, beckoning her to join him. "Spill, kitten."

"Well," she began, pacing towards him and lowering herself onto his lap, her knees bent on either side of his hips. She liked being in her underwear around him, especially when he was suited up for work and stopping by on his lunch break. She bit her lip and let her hands find his tie, loosening it ever so slightly. "He's still obsessed with Lola. He wanted to apologize to me so he looks good to her. I don't think he realizes it will never work."

"And why is that?" he asked curiously, placing his hands above hers to guide the tie undone, pulling it over his head.

"Because Lola's done a one-eighty. She's nothing like she was at Arlington. All she wants to do is gain power and boys, and not even the scandalous kind."

"But not you?"

She sighed. "I've already told you how our catch up went."

Lola had been completely uninterested in Sophie. It was strange how the golden girl had once depended so deeply on her, but now that she'd apparently become a better person – ditching her soon-to-be fiancé and leaving the state – Sophie had become worthless.

Jack stroked the side of Sophie's face gently, the way one might show affection to their pet. "You know she never really valued you."

It was true, but that didn't mean it didn't hurt.

"She didn't need to," Soph said, her playful mood now dropping with each passing second. "We didn't work like that."

They didn't. It was about more than give and take with Lola. Because somewhere along the way, somewhere within their fucked up friendship, Sophie gave Lola her heart.