Chapter Five

Chapter Five*

I'm beginning to feel dizzy as I lay back in the tiny, uncomfortable tube. It has made swift twists, turns, upscales and downscales; the motion is too fast for me. I wonder if this is what being on a plane feels like.

As I try to shift into a less awkward position, I find myself glancing at the man sat not too far from me --- not that there's much space to sit any further --- and take a deep breath to regain my voice, an ability that I seem to have lost about twenty minutes ago.

"What did you mean when you said..what you said?" I ask slowly, licking dry lips.

Blue Eyes doesn't answer me --- in fact, he doesn't even acknowledge me, still not glancing in my direction, just as it's been the whole ten or so minutes we've been in here. He keeps his eyes fixed on the various buttons situated on the front wall of the tube. Only now does he press down on one, a tiny red one off to his right; I feel the tube speeding up, which is hard to believe considering we already seem to be going remarkably fast.

My hands automatically go for the walls to steady myself. "Stop that!" I strain out. "Who are you?"

Another demand, said louder than I intended. But yet he still does not move nor answers me. That's when I reach over, intending to grab him and shake him. I only think better of it a split second too late, because he then grabs my wrist, bending my arm in a painful way as I cry out in pain.

"Just wait!" he barks out. It's not very helpful --- although he did show some kind of emotion for once; frusturation --- but that's the end of it. Blue Eyes lets go of me and settles back into his useless position. I do the same, bringing my hand to the part of my head that had been bashed onto a metal wall earlier, then look at my hand once I feel a liquid substance beneath my curls. Slowly, I wipe the blood against my dirty jeans, wrinkling my nose at the metal scent.

I can feel tears welling up in my eyes for the trillionth time today, but this time, I push them back, deciding it will make no difference. My body seems to have gotten a bit tired of it's pathetic and miserable state, and the only remaining emotions are awkwardness and curiousity.

Things have taken an odd turn today. I'd expected to be home at this time, celebrating my brilliance, victory and the braveness of saving my sister. But instead I'm left to solve a riddle.

Not so much a riddle, really. Just something that confuses me quite a bit.

This man is saying that, although killing and disposing of me is supposed to be his job, he is not going to do it. He thinks I'm a Marphibate, and yet he says that he is "on my side". Which makes no sense, unless of course..

I pause my thoughts, turning to glance at the man once again. I look him over from his expressionless face to his dirty, worn boots. He's dressed in a seemingly uniform, a dirty blue jumpsuit and a secure belt, like one a custodian would wear.

He can't be.. I shake my head, recalling the last thing he had said over and over in my mind.

'You will be taken to the Marphibian X Community.'

As my stomach begins to drop and a fresh batch of fear kicks in, the tube comes to a violent stop. I don't know whether to feel relieved or alarmed.

"Out." Blue Eyes says simply, pressing a yellow button that automatically pops open both ends of the tube. Glad to see his communication skills are improving. I gawkily climb out of my side's end, seconds away from having my head chopped off as both doors slam closed. As I'm trying to steady myself on numb legs, Blue Eyes starts hauling me once again, with a tight grip on my arm.