Starting from the Top

The first scene of a story might be the most crucial. Death Note and Code Geass begin by conveying similar information in different ways. Death Note starts with us getting to know the perspectives of two of the most important characters. We swap back and forth between Light in the human world and Ryuk in the shinigami world. I'll take a moment now to say that this book is based on the premise that you've seen both anime. You have been warned.

First, we see the shinigami world. It's dark and barren and most importantly, it shows us rather than tells us. A couple nameless shinigami are playing a game of some kind which Ryuk shows no interest in playing, then we switch to the human world. Light is asked to recite a passage about god in what we can probably assume is a language class. It's subtlety is debatable but it sets up the themes that show will follow for the remainder of its duration. After all, Light's whole thing is becoming the god of his perfect world.

Next, we hear news and radio chatter about crime that's been taking place. In perfect unison, Light and Ryuk lament on how rotten both of their worlds are. So, in very little time, we've gotten to know our characters, their situations, and what they want. It's actually rather impressive when you consider other stories that take entire episodes to set that up.

Now, as I said, Code Geass conveys similar information but a little differently. We open up with Lelouch and Suzaku. They seem to be hiking and the audio has the sound turned off. All we hear are the ever-present Sakaidas. It's a simple and effective way to establish their friendship without much effort. So, while the roles the characters play are different, both shows make a point of establishing just two characters. Again, this is a little that does a lot. How many shows have you seen that just threw too much at you at once?

A character we soon get to know as C.C. begins narrating. Normally, I detest narration but it's done with such a dramatic flair that I have to give it a pass. Long story short, "Britannia" has taken over what used to be Japan and renamed it "Area 11." Also, mechs. Next, we see an absolutely adorable little Lelouch claim that he will one day "obliterate Britannia."

Not that this is meant to be a contest but I have to give the edge for the first scene to Death Note. It gets you involved, you hear from both of the pivotal characters directly, and it doesn't involve a history lesson. Don't get me wrong, I like a good history lesson but it can come off as lazy story telling. Also, I'll probably gush more in the future, but both series capitalize on their fantastic soundtracks for maximum dramatic tension. I honestly wouldn't be able to choose between them.

Alright, so, we get back to Death Note and Light is staring blankly out the window when a notebook falls from the sky. Sure, why not. After class, he finds it and picks it up. Initially he assumes it's a prank but even so, his curiosity gets the best out of him. I think this is an interesting moment because it's very telling about Light's character. He thinks of himself as a mature young adult but he definitely seems to have a childish curiosity. This childishness is what really drives him to do the evil things he does. As is repeated a few times through the show, his sense of justice is a very childish one. It's worth noting that he puts the notebook down only to go back and get it anyway.

Back in Code Geass, we see a helicopter chasing down a semi-truck. This is where I have to be a little critical of Code Geass, much as I love it. We have absolutely no reason to be invested in what's going on. It's information and events that has to be conveyed but still, we don't actually care yet. Now we switch to yet more people we don't know playing chess. Well, at least there's chess. Next a schoolboy, easily  recognizable as Lelouch, strolls in. We can tell just by looking at him that he's a man of confidence. The nobleman playing chess turns his nose down at Lelouch who, just like the audience, knows that's going to be a mistake.

Rivalz, a character with blue hair as well as being another character we don't care about, plays an interesting role here. He points out that there should be no way Lelouch can win the game he's walked into. This is the first of quite a few occasions where Rivalz acts as a way for the audience to ask questions, whether they would have or not. The nobleman laughs as Lelouch starts with his king and the scene fades out.

And back to Death Note again, Light reads the rules to himself, still not believing it's for real. Testing the notebook out on a criminal he sees on TV, Light STILL refuses to believe in the legitimacy of the notebook. Light's mother calls him down for cram school and Light ponders whether or not he should use it again. I say ponder but his mind already made. He's resisting but we can definitely see his curiosity get more and more the better of him. As a side note, Death Note was by far quicker and more efficient in setting up its supernatural element. Another point to Death Note.

Light overhears a few teenagers being morons and starts wondering how many people actually deserve to live. It's morbid thinking but he's got a point. At that moment a gang of lowlifes show up and begin assaulting a token defenseless teenage girl. Pretty straightforward, Light uses the notebook on them. Done deal. At this point, Light's disbelief has been suspended. Unbeknownst to him, Ryuk decides it's time to get going.

Now, back in Code Geass once again, we're back to the random people in the truck talking about vague things we don't know about yet. Then, just as quickly, we're back to Lelouch and Rivalz with the chess match already over. Lelouch is expressing his distaste for nobles when they overhear people talking about the ambiguous semi-truck. Still unaware of what they're actually carrying,  the royal guard and their mechs are dispatched to catch them. Elsewhere, Rivalz asks Lelouch why he started with the king. This is kinda important as it establishes Lelouch having the ideal that a leader should sacrifice just as much if not more than those who follow him.

The truck magically shows up just behind them, then crashes down in what looks like some kind of construction site... I swear, this show's good. No, really.

Anyway, a bunch of people stare and take pictures, behavior Lelouch clearly doesn't tolerate. Can't really say I blame him. Then he goes down himself to make sure the people inside are okay. Spoiler alert: they aren't. The truck takes off and Lelouch falls in from the top. Not sure why he climbed up there in the first place but whatever. Helicopters begin firing at the truck and one of the so far unknown characters gets into a mech of their own. Lelouch recognizes her but can't quite place the face. At this point the royal guard shows up in obviously better mechs. The girl in the mech stays to fight while the truck drives into the subway.

Well, this is getting a bit long winded so we'll have to finish this another time. Make sure to leave the usual follow, vote, and comment if you like. It really does mean a lot and is a great encouragement to make more. We covered about half of each episode so that'll probably be the norm from here on out. Thanks for reading and see ya next time.