The Cupid Game

"Betrayal can only happen if you love." -John Le Carre 

I walked down the hallway of Beekman High, my tennis shoes squeaking on the linoleum. The lockers were all posted with colorful pieces of paper advertising our school's first musical of the year. I held my books to my chest and breathed in the fresh air of the school.

"Hey, Jace." Someone said, passing me in the hall.

That's me. Jacelynn Porter. Junior year at Beekman, blackish-violet hair in a violently sharp bob, fashionista, and love-advice extraordinaire! Not that anyone would know. About the love-advice, I mean. I'm kinda on the brink of popularity. This means that I have no friends in the inner circle, but I have friends close to the inner circle. Also meaning, that no one really asks me for relationship advice.

"Yo, Jace!" Someone yelled at me.

"Hi!" I said, waving in their general direction. 

"JACEJACEJACEJACEJACE!!!" Someone yelled through the semi-quiet halls. 

This was my best friend, Kenz. A loud, artistic type. She had naturally straight, fine, blonde hair. She always tried to make it wavy with some new contraption her mom would send our way. It never worked.

"Jace. I have had the best idea. In the world. Ever." She said. 

"Not another one!" I groaned. Kenz was notorious for having bad ideas. Her last one is still being scraped off the Biology room's walls. She's imagined everything from trying to start a fashion trend of "rope necklaces" to trying to start a fire using technology.

As you can proabably tell, these were not allowed at the school. We now have rules in the school handbook specifically addressing some of the issues that had been had because of Kenz's antics.

"What? This time, it seriously rules." She said

"What is it?" I asked rolling my eyes.

"A cupid booth. Like, people would come into a room and ask you for relationship advice." She said.

That was how this whole thing started, a simple dark room, a cloak, a mask, and a few posters. These were the tools used to help everybody find true love at our school. Little did I know, that everyone included me.