Star Trek Voyager: Seven's First Valentine

A/n: I know I'm a day late, but this is a Valentine's Day one-shot. I hope you all enjoy this, its set in a reality where Voyager is still in the Delta Quadrant.

“An away mission?” Seven echoed, fighting to stop her face from falling in disappointment at this unexpected piece of news. Her hopes and plans for the next day evaporated as she looked up at her husband’s apologetic face and she, for his sake, hastily forced her face into a passive expression. “When do you leave?” she asked as levelly as she could.

“As soon as the rest of the team is ready to go.” Chakotay answered with a sigh as he peered concernedly into her face. “The Gironian delegation assured us that the trip to their home world is a ceremonial part of all their trading negotiations and that we should be back here within 36 hours…”

“So you won’t be back by tomorrow?” Seven clarified, swallowing the sadness in her tone.

“No, probably not.” Chakotay admitted ruefully, “I’m sorry honey, but I’ll be back by the next morning I promise.” He saw her bite her lip slightly and lightly put his fingers under her chin to lift her face to his, “You’ll be alright, won’t you?” he asked her gently.

Seven smiled at him sheepishly, ashamed of her selfishness and for making him worry. “Of course I will be, I have a great deal of work that can be completed while you’re gone…” She began to assure him hurriedly.

Chakotay shot her a knowing look. “Just because I’m not here to make sure you relax at some point doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t find some time.” He reminded her seriously.

“I won’t work constantly…” Seven agreed, “I need to regenerate too.” She teasingly added when he frowned at her doubtfully.

“Okay, okay, I believe you!” Chakotay laughed, holding his hands up defensively before his voice again became more serious as he leaned closer into her. “I’ll make it up to you when I get back…” He murmured, his warm breath tickling her cheek pleasantly.

“I know.” She replied softly as she put her arms around his broad shoulders. “Don’t concern yourself with me over this, these negotiations are vital for Voyager.”

“They are vital, but that doesn’t mean I should forget about us.” Chakotay told her firmly as he bent his head to kiss her, before being rudely interrupted by the beam of his comm. badge.

The newly promoted Harry Kim’s voice came over the line, filling Astrometrics where the couple stood alone. “The Doctor and I are ready to disembark Commander. We’re waiting in Shuttle Bay Two.”

Chakotay impatiently tapped his comm. badge to respond, “I’ll be right there Lieutenant. Chakotay out.” He glanced back at his wife, tightening his grip around her. “Do you want to come down to the Shuttle Bay with me?” he asked, although he already knew what her answer would be.

“No…” Seven answered with a small sigh, “I’d prefer for us to be alone for another moment.” Even after almost three months of marriage, she still felt loathe to give up privacy in exchange for public displays of affection, it always felt more heartfelt to her with only the two of them as witnesses. She reached up and placed her hand loving on his face as she kissed him deeply. “Be safe my love.” She whispered thickly as she pulled back.

“I will be.” Chakotay reassured her kindly as he pressed the back of her hand to his lips. “I love you too.” He murmured softly in goodbye as he disappeared through the doorway.

Seven let out a heavy sigh as she watched the doors shut behind him, the possibility of a first romantic Valentine’s Day leaving her with him as she turned distractedly back to her console.