The Goth Club

Lyra groaned and rubbed her eyes. Sighing, she snapped the lid of the computer shut. Not a moment later, however, she scrambled to reopen the slim laptop, franticly swinging her mouse and jabbing buttons.

            “Forgot to save again?” A deep voice chuckled from behind her.

            Lyra jumped up and spun around.  “Jace! Don’t do that to me!” She giggled in a breathless, major-crisis-averted sort of way. Lyras’ mom always let Jace into their house, and he snuck up on Lyra every single time.

            “Well then,” Jace replied as he casually leaned over Lyra and gently folded her beloved Macbook Air, “don’t give me reason to. When will this amazing play you’re writing be available for people to read, anyway?”

            “Oh! Umm…I’m going through some sticky parts here,” Lyra admitted. “And…oh! Oh my goodness! You’re here to work on the project! I completely forgot!” Lyra moaned, becoming more flustered by the moment.

            “Hey, don’t sweat it,” Jace murmured, pulling Lyra onto her beanbag so that she could lie next to him and lean her head on his shoulder. Lyras’ breathing became more regular as she snuggled against her best friend.

            It had always been like this. Jace was the only one who could make Lyra relax completely, and Lyra was the only one who had ever been able to bring down Jaces’ walls. The two were practically inseparable since kindergarten. Now it was freshman year of high school, and nothing had ever managed to come between them.

            “Lyra…” Jace whispered close to her ear. His proximity sent goose bumps up and down Lyras’ body.

            “Mhmm?” Lyra breathed—or at least, as close to breathing as she could get right now, since her breath was hitching oddly in her throat.

            “As fun as this is, we should really start the English project, or Ms. Jemput will have our heads.”

            Lyra took the outstretched hand the now standing Jace offered her and tried to control the wild blush that had sprung into her cheeks.

            Lyra and Jaces’ relationship hadn’t changed, but boy, had Jace ever changed, and it was starting to have an effect on Lyra.

            Jace had gone from a scrawny little boy to a character straight from one of Lyras’ stories. His soft black hair tumbled around his ears and hung in front of eyes that were such a deep, dark blue Lyra could have sworn they were almost purple. Jace didn’t have much muscle, but he also wasn’t too skinny or too fat. Lyra wasn’t the only one to notice, though. Most girls were scared away by the quiet, angry air he kept around himself in public, but even so he still got admiring looks. However, most quickly found that Jace didn’t want a relationship—in fact, Lyra was one of his only friends. And Lyra was the only one he really trusted. Jace had all but isolated himself from society, but Lyra was his link to the rest of the human race.

            Which is why Lyra and Jace always found a way to pair themselves together for group projects.

            Sighing from the pressures of teenage life, Lyra buckled down to work.

            “I had an idea,” Lyra announced as Jace gathered up various supplies from around Lyras’ room(their work may or may not have been interrupted by a grab-whatever-you-can-and-throw-it-at-the-enemy war…and if it was, either one might have started it).

            “Oh?” Jace said, giving Lyra a look of wary curiosity. Lyras’ ideas always seemed to lead to some sort of trouble.

            “Well,” Lyra started, choosing her words carefully, “Jocks have their sports teams, and nerds have mathletes, and the ‘popular’ girls run student council…”

            “And…?” Jace prompted.

            “And, well…what about other people? Someone like Jae Clait, who always wears black? Or Teresa Green, who writes depressing poetry in every class? People…people like me, who love the gothic-victorian-steampunk style.” Looking at Jaces’ neutral face, Lyra took a breath.

“I want to start a Goth Club.”

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I know it was a bit of a slow start, but I hope you'll stick with me :)

I have alot of plans for this story, and some twists that will make it different from the average high school drama (I hope!)

I would love any feedback on how I'm doing so far, especially since this is my first upload on Wattpad.

Have a great day!