Until We Meet Again Love

A heartwarming short story for you. Well . . . it's actually for Valentine's Day. A bit late, but please enjoy it.

Please votes/cooments, if you like it. thank you! :D

***

He’s gone.

That was the only thing that kept occupying my mind in this Valentine’s Day – the supposed to be happy and loving day. He was supposed to be here, sitting by my side, whispering softly to me how much he loved me – like what he used to do.

But that’s not going to happen.

I stared at the windows, looking at the scenery. The blue sky, the wonderful cliff, the vast ocean, taking in every little detail. It stays the same as always, but yet it looks dull. Without you by my side, I couldn’t see the beauty and the joy of the world – like what I used to see.

I only feel the numbness.

Looking at the joyous couple that passing by, I felt envy. They held each other’s hands, whispering words of love, and laughing at each other. I looked at how we used to be, when you were still here. I tried to reminisce the past and finally I could smile for a little bit.

The memories that will never fade in my heart.

Why did you leave me love? This is the first Valentine’s Day without you and I didn’t know if I could get through it with all the pain in my heart. I thought our love would stay forever, just like what you promised me.

I should have known that nothing lasts forever.

We always stuck together for the past fifty years, but I could never get enough of you. We were always together since birth, never realized that it would turn into love. You were my best friend, my first boyfriend, my first lover, my first everything.

I love you so much.

I knew how much you love children, but you stay by my side, when you knew I couldn’t give you one. I knew that you were disappointed, but you said that I was more important for you, and your love for me wouldn’t fade just because of that minor problem.

That’s the reason I adore you; I always became your number one.

But, why did you leave me all alone? A suicidal thought passed through my mind; I wanted to go to your place up there. But I knew that you would be disappointed in me, and I couldn’t do it. I didn’t want to meet you up there; just to let you give me a cold shoulder. You always did that, when you got angry, even though it would only last for a few hours.

However, killing myself will make you hate me forever; I know that.

My thought kept getting back at you, while rocking my chair back and forth.  How could I not? It had always been the two of us, facing the world together. However, the rocking chair beside me was empty without your presence. And I . . . I am not brave enough to do that all alone. I could feel the tears pouring down on my face like a waterfall, but I wiped it all. Because I knew you hated to see me cry or be sad.

‘Ring . . . Ring . . .’ I heard the loud ringing bell, snapping me out of my pity thought. I got up slowly from my rocking chair. It took me a lot of efforts due to my back pain. I’m really getting old. Who would come to my house in this Valentine’s Day? Paying a visit to an old lady? Maybe, wrong address.

I walked to the door and opened it slowly. A young man in blue uniform stood in front of me, grinning widely. He held onto a very big box. What is in that box?