Decompressing

We lay on the beach in silence, just staring at the majestic navy blue sky. My head rested on his arm. There was no sound except for the waves crashing on shore. "For someone who loves the sound of her own voice, you sure are quiet," Nate teased. I grinned and turned my head to meet his gaze.

                "Strong words for someone who loves to listen." A low rumble erupted from his mouth. He returned his head so that he could stare up at the stars. I followed suit, with a light-hearted sensation. The warm breeze lapped my face and I closed my eyes to revel in the freedom.

                "We could go anywhere, you know. You would never have to see him again." I stiffened at the sheer mention of my husband. "He would never be able to hurt you again."

                "I like it here," I mumbled softly. "I feel...safe." He kissed my cheek and returned to his original position.

                "I always knew that you and I would be inevitable." I turned to him in surprise. Just a month ago we were bickering about something so stupid like we hated each other. "Ever since Scott introduced us." He looked pensive for a moment before turning his head to me and smiling. "You're infuriating," he added.

                "You know how to push my buttons," I replied. I giggled and shrugged. "You were the last person I thought I'd ever end up with." He chuckled.

                "You make it sound like you're settling." I shook my head.

                "Scott's going to kill you when he finds out, you know." He turned his head away from me as he thought about it.

                "I think he'd be okay. He'd be happy that you're with someone who makes you happy." I knew Nate for five years. Derek never let me see my family often, and when Scott and Nate had orders to  train at Camp Pendleton, I was able to see Scott every day. I think Derek was a little scared of Scott, so he never hit me or yelled at me while he was there. I would go out with Scott all the time and Nate always came with. Most of time we argued. It was very seldom Nate and I had a civil discussion.

                "Hey, Nate?" The nerves started building up. I bit my bottom lip in anxious waiting for him to acknowledge me.

                "Hmmm?" He hummed, making my skin erupt in goosebumps.

                "I love you."  The silence was deafening. I watched him carefully as he didn't give any inclination as to what he was thinking. A smile slowly spread across his lips.

                "I love you too," he murmured as he turned his head to me, his green eyes locking mine in. "You'll never have to be afraid of me. I'll take care of you."

                I smiled sadly at the memory. My heart ached for Nate for four years. It didn't matter how badly we yelled at each other the night we broke up or what he said to me. I was still in love with him. Scott and Nate left for the bar about an hour ago and some of the party goers were still mingling. I was outside on the porch swing with Troy sitting quietly next to me.

                "Mommy?" I glanced down at Troy, whose eyes were concerned and looking eagerly up at me.

                "Yeah baby?"

                "Where's daddy?" I frowned.

                "You know how bears protect their babies?" He nodded. "Pretend that I'm the mama bear and you're the baby bear...I'm protecting you. Daddy won't be able to hurt us anymore." His gaze lingered as he tried to process the information.