Chapter One

Something I learned from Asia during my trip into going back to my roots of my biological parents was that you can always wear a skirt, even if it's forty five degrees Fahrenheit. All you have to wear is stockings and a nice warm jacket that is long enough to cover up to your thighs. Fashion is a necessity. Not a option.

Dressed in a high waisted, black pleated skirt with a white crop top and red Gucci heels (and of course I wore nude stockings and a knee length red dress coat), I entered the Waldorf Hotel. The buzz of laughter, talking, and music filled my ears. The extravagant decor of the Waldorf Hotel shined and screamed expensive. Large chandeliers hung from the golden ceiling. Odd shaped, couches were positioned on the marble floors with specks of green plants highlighting the simplicity of the lavish furniture.

Daniel Becker, owner of Becker & Company, invited the whole company into a night out to the Waldorf Hotel bar, and the entire event was to celebrate the merger of Becker & Company and Ellwood Corporation. Even though I didn't want to go, I knew that a promotion to Vice President was at the tip of my fingers. I was one of the pioneers of the Becker & Company. I could feel it, and Brooke Garrett, Vice President of Becker & Company did have a nice ring. If I became Vice President, I'd be the youngest at the age twenty five and I was already the youngest board member of Becker & Co.

Finding the bar easily as it was the source to most of the sound, I saw many coworkers including Daniel Becker, the mind of the great Becker empire. Daniel Becker was my senior throughout my college experience at Harvard; although, he was just one year above me. I excelled in most of my classes and was eager to complete my Business degree, so I joined study groups with the upperclassmen.

Daniel was always a good friend and mentor. He was a short man with a contagious smile. With short brown hair and green eyes, he could've become a model if he was not at the small height of five feet eight inches.

"Well, look what we have here," Daniel said as I walked over to him, "who would've thought that the great Brooke Garrett would grace us with her presence?"

The people surrounding Daniel were two of my co workers, Blake Hunters and Judith Vince. Blake and Judith laughed to the rhetorical question as they knew I didn't enjoy most outings. They, too, were pioneers of Becker & Company and were also my seniors at Harvard.

"I'm pretty sure the invitation said 'mandatory' on it," I joked along. I removed my coat and draped it across my arm. They bursted out into loud laughter-- laughter that could've been heard from the other side of New York City. "Guys, I'm pretty sure I'm not that funny, so you should probably tone it down on those drinks." I eyed their glasses. In Blake and Daniel's hands were glasses of hard liquor and in Judith's was a cocktail glass almost empty of the Cosmopolitan.

"We are not drunk," Judith stated in all seriousness. Her slurred words began to become noticeable to me by her next sentences. "Tipsy? Eh. I think so." From that comment the boys started giggling like high school girls. Their sniggers seemed to diffuse further than normal, telling me that they're drunk.

Before they could take another swig, I snatched the boys' cups and placed them on a tray that a waitress was carrying. I also took the cocktail glass from Judith and placed it on the same tray. From those actions, they looked at me and began whining. Whining like dogs! You'd think that Harvard alumnus would act maturely, but no. Blake, Daniel, and Judith could be the poster children of the reasons not to serve alcohol.

"Stop whining and sit down," I commanded to them. I gestured to the table beside them. As they trudged to their seats, I told them to stay. I placed my coat on the back of an empty chair.

Weaving through the crowd, I heard bits and pieces of a Mr. Ellwood talking to each individual employee and greeting them. Not focusing on Mr. Ellwood and his conquest on introducing himself, I quickly went to the bar and asked the bartender for three glasses of water. Using my waitress skills that I obtained years ago from working at Macaroni Grill, I carried all three glasses. Huh? I think I've gotten better.