Chapter 2

How the hell was I going to know what she looked like? I thought before I’d even reached the top of the stairs. The air was damp but mild I as I carefully closed the door behind me. It was quiet. No candles lighting any guard as they did the night watch shift. For a prince he had gotten very lazy with his security. For his enemies as a tortuous tyrant I’m assuming he has a few, the prospect of attacking at night mustn’t be as beneficial as one would think.

The building that the prince lived in was made out of stone. It wasn’t a castle, it was more an oversized house. It was two storeys, large windows in the 7 bedrooms and a fireplace in each. The main living quarters was a huge dining hall, an informal dining hall, was open plan into the kitchen. The dining hall was rarely used, as formal dinners didn’t happen in the house. The servants would get their food at different times to the prince and any guests he would have at the house. He was a quiet man, who kept to himself, but all of us servants knew not to cross his path when he was angry. We all had had bruises on our faces from being pushed out of the way at one point of our stay there. Once it happened, you learned to be very mindful of where the prince was at all times, and what was happening in the house.

The house was set atop a small hill, which to the west was farming land, and to the east was thick forest. The prince hired workers to plough, plant and sow the fields, and made a tidy profit out of selling corn to the nearby town. The prince didn’t have much power as he was waiting in line for the throne. He did have two older brothers, so he knew he might be waiting for some time. He admired both of his brothers and he knew his chances were slim of ruling the land, so he took his business mind and put it to good use. He lived not on his father’s wealth, but of wealth of his own making, and the townsfolk admired him for this.

 I crept along the side of the building to make my disappearance into the forest. I had to wait until the moon rose, to be able to get my bearings and follow the stars in the sky to make sure I was going dead East.

I crouched in the hedges at the edge of the building, making sure I didn’t make a sound. Not that anyone would hear me. Or so I thought. I held my breath as a flicker of light came from one of the entryways. A guard looked out the door, left, then right and then walked away. Hurry up moon! I hated waiting, it meant less time getting closer to Zoe, and even less time trying to convince her that she had to save her father.  Finally the moon began to rise at the horizon. The east pointing was now visible and I started my journey.

IT was a little too easy to escape, and I thought I should have done it years ago. The prince had been good to me after picking me up one early morning sobbing quietly on one of the main roads. He had taken me in, fed me until my mental state had come back to normal after my mother had died. It had taken some time, but one morning I awoke without tears in my eyes. It was that day that I knew I would be ok. I became the princes most trusted servant, proving my loyalty and being able to look after the princes most treasured captive.

My feet ached as I made my way through the forest. It was rocky in some parts, damp dense forest floor in others. I pushed through, knowing I could get at least half way there before dawn. And then I would have to rest. I wonder if anyone would notice I was missing? What would they do anyway? No use wasting resources on a measly servant. There were plenty more desperate young women they could promise food to in exchange for service. I came to a flat field and made a run for it. I wasn’t sure where the energy came from but I wasn’t complaining.  I had to get to Zoe.